Part 11

(A year past happy, we moved out and we're finding jobs)

     I sat in my room thinking, I would be starting my job soon, I excelled in my classes causing me to get a bachelors degree in only a year, that would get me a job as a nurse, which I was excited for! But I really wanted something, but I had a feeling that Donavan wouldn't approve. I wanted a puppy.

I went into our room, Donavan was sitting at his desk looking at some of the pictures he took. I walked over to his desk, "whatcha doing?" He looked at me, "just seeing which of these could go in my portfolio for college." He responded, I knew he wanted to be a photographer, that is why I was putting off asking him cause he was really into his work. I pulled up an extra chair "want some help?" I asked. He nodded, I looked down at the pictures, they were all beautiful, you could see so many small details. I looked for a while while he just sorted them into piles, I noticed one in particular, it was of a lake the angle showed only part of it in the rest of the picture was a mountains circling it, with trees and hills. It was probably the best picture out of all of them.

I picked it up, "how bout this one?" I asked, he looked at it, "yeah, that one would work, but there are so many flaws in it." He said, I sighed "every picture you take will have flaws, isn't that the point? Nothing's perfect?" He looked at the picture again. "Yeah, you're right" he said putting it in a small folder along with several others, i stood up and headed to the door, "you wanted something didn't you?" He ask, I chuckled "yeah but I have a feeling you won't get it." I responded, "well you don't know unless you ask." He said, I sighed "I kinda wanted a puppy, I realized we don't have a lot of time for it but I'd like to try." He lifted one of his eyebrows, "a puppy huh?" I nodded. He stood up and walked over to me, "well you're right about a few things, we don't have time for it, but I think you're ready for it, and hey it might be good practice." He said, "let's go." A large smile spread across my face.

We agreed that we would get the puppy from the shelter because most times pet stores don't care for there animals properly, and shelters have animals that have already been thrown out so we don't need more, we walked along the rows of kennels, seeing big dogs, little dogs, fluffy dogs and sleek dogs, eventually we came across a kennel with golden retriever mixes, they looked fuzzy and one even walked up to the front of the kennel. I noticed a small one at the back, he didn't look sickly, but he was small, he stood up and walked to the bars, and sat down staring at me, I reached my fingers through the mesh and the pup pushed his muzzle into them, I turned to Donavan, "I want this one." I stated, he looked at the puppy. "You sure?" He asked, I nodded vigorously, "well ok" he went to find someone to talk to, I sat and let the puppy mess with my fingers.

Donavan came back with an employee who took the puppy out and handed it to me, I held it tightly the employee looked at me "that one might not live very long, it's the runt" he said, I looked at him "I could care less, if he lives 4 months or 12 years, if he's happy he's happy." I responded, the employee, just sighed and continued to talk with Donavan about the adoption papers, after about ten minutes we were on our way home, the puppy fell asleep in my lap. Donavan glanced at me then turned his attention back to the road, "you're taking care of it, that includes house training." He said, I looked from the lump of fur in my lap, "aw ok, I thought you'd like to help, mister 'I'd be good practice'" I noticed his blush and giggled, "ok, if you don't want to you don't have to" I said a smile apparent in my voice.

     (We now had a little bundle of fur in the house.)