Evolution: Chapter 3

"Move! Move! Move!"

I heard Ander's panicked shout before our bedroom door was thrown open. The force of it slamming against the wall was enough to make Five fall out of bed. My heart was like a thrumming lump in my chest, chasing the oxygen away.

"This location is compromised," Eric stood at the doorway for a heartbeat, already zipping up his winter jacket, "Pack up essentials, and let's go!"

Two's movements were swift as he dropped easily from the top bunk across from me, already alert. Heat bloomed through my cheeks when he swiftly stripped off his shirt, revealing tan muscles, that shifted with every movement.

Really? A naked chest still affects me? This is humiliating.

"Six, come on." Two's voice pierced through my clouded thoughts, and I blinked, "Selene? Are you okay?"

When his face was suddenly in front of mine, my mind pinged back into the present. Heat rushed throughout my whole body and I nodded mutely, unsure of the foreign reaction I was having. Not that now was the time to have them, because the word 'compromised' flashed through my head.

"Holy shit!" Five blurred past me, shoving his clothes into a rucksack. There was a fresh sense of panic on his tightened features, "Finally! Some action! Crap, do you think they're close?"

Two was still in front of me when I finally rose to my feet, and the world shifted beneath me. We'd been in this little cabin for seventeen days, the longest location we'd stayed in now. It was stupid of me, but I had kind of let my guard down since being here.

Because...I liked it.

"I'm fine." I forced the words from my lips, clearing my throat, "Hurry, before Eric comes back."

I didn't let my mind linger on the immediate changes of Two. Even though I spent every day in the same place with him, and even shared a room, I was keenly aware of every shift. It was almost impossible for me not to notice how he...aged, became more masculine in the outdoors.

Hard to keep myself focused on what mattered.

"Six, get changed."

Three's voice jolted me into action, and I moved. It had been a while since I'd heard the low rumble of his voice, it reminded me of how much I missed it. Suddenly, my body was moving whilst my mind went into overdrive.

I couldn't even process my actions as I rolled over what that could mean for us; the 'they' Eric was referring to, meant Veronica. The very woman who still haunted my nightmares, and my wakeful thoughts.

Veronica Grave; the woman who brought out the monster in me.

All this time, I'd been building a barricade within myself. Something that would keep my painfully strong primal urges at bay, but I felt a crack. It shuddered through me, and now all I could see in my mind's eye was copper red hair.