Evolution: Chapter 40

"Veronica is gearing up for something big. She's been all over the map, cashing in all her favors. Everyone who has something, she wants two of."

Alchemy was sprawled out over an expensive lounge chair. His brows furrowed as he spoke, genuine concern showed in his eyes. Although, I couldn't tell if it was because he feared what was to come, or if it would affect his own business.

Ripper didn't look surprised by his information. However, he didn't look any less disturbed by it either, "The politics say our dearest president is the harsh of being impeached." He spoke thoughtfully, one finger trailing around the edge of his glass, "Or assassinated. Dealers choice, I suppose."

"I heard those were Monroe's men who tried to bring down the White House." Alchemy snapped his fingers, nodding as the knowledge in his mind started piecing itself together, "Would make sense. A few are aware of the workshop Victoria set up for them a couple of years back."

Venom couldn't have looked more bored if she tried. Her gaze bore into the ceiling, looking at nothing for minutes at a time. I wished I could read her mind, maybe then, I'd know why she'd volunteered to come in the first place.

We'd been here for a couple of hours at least. Whatever tension fizzled between the two geniuses in the room had died down. Now, they truly were acting as if they were old friends.

I guess it was because they were comfortable now. Ripper and I weren't the only ones with bullseye's on our backs, Alchemy had a high price on his head too. The longer I stayed here, the more I learned about him.

Like his casual relationship with people in high places. How he'd produce some of the meanest poisons, and deadly drugs for the right price. Part of me wondered how he done it, didn't his moral compass choke him out, every time?

He was my new fascination.

"She's coming for me, and everyone knows it." Ripper drawled, a slight smirk to his lips. Intimidation never showed on his face, if anything, the challenge seemed to excite him, "It doesn't help that you're aiding her, but, forgiveness can be earned."

Alchemy looked grateful but said nothing of it, "She's coming at everyone hard." He breathed, pouring his almost fourth glass of rum. Whereas Ripper had been going steady on his second, "Bitch knows her social status is bullet proof. Can you believe she's still chasing after your work?"

"I'm an exceptional mind," Ripper reminded us, pride coating his exterior, "She'll never not want that. Besides, everyone knows the extent of my work, and how valuable it is."

The young man's eyes glazed over at the mere thought of that kind of glory, "Genetically enhanced specimens, created from scratch." He breathed it out, like it was something he'd long to do himself, "No one actually knows what she done with your Splices. There are rumors, obviously. Some say she's molding them into perfect little soldiers, assassins, or even as her very own bodyguards."

Ripper's movements paused for a brief second, "You mean, before I took them back." He said the words with such glory, I thought he'd explode into flakes of gold, "Veronica Grave no longer has the merchandise. She basically unlocked the doors, and let me in to steal them back from her."

Alchemy nearly fell from his seat, "You're kidding!?" His eyes were wide, like a child on Christmas day, "You have the Splices? She's been swanning around. Bragging about their success, and their development like prized pigs. How long ago did she lose them?"

Lose them. The Splices. Took them back.

I didn't like being referred to as this thing that was owned. It made my teeth grit in annoyance, but I kept my composure, pacing across the stone floor with ease. Between the four people in the room, only myself and Ripper knew I was one of them.