Evolution: Chapter 37

Her fist came crashed across the side of my face.

Blood drizzled down my chin from the split in my lip, which healed as fast as the skin broke. Feeling the sharp bite of pain was refreshing. It made a quiet buzz of energy charge through me again, and I missed it.

"You basically invited that one." Hayden gritted out, fists gathered in front of her face, "At least try to show me you're capable of holding your own, Selene!"

The beds had been pushed against the wall as we danced across from each other. Venom had slinked away without either of us noticing, not that Hayden seemed to mind. After all, it wasn't her face plastered over every other dark web page.

"I can hold my own!" I snapped in frustration, and it was true. I just didn't want to let loose in a rented room, "What's your problem? Why are you baiting me!?"

She'd been doing it for the last fifteen minutes. There was no way Hayden was stupid enough to think I wouldn't notice, by now, she knew better. I also might know the way her head works more than she wants me to.

After all, she is her father's daughter.

"Because, you're pulling your punches!" Hayden gritted out, probably because of the pain. Her ankle was still sore, and even with the painkillers, I could tell it was bothering her, "You know better than to act weak!"

But I wasn't. In fact, I was painfully aware of how easy it would be to just wipe her out. One focused punch would be enough to knock her out cold. The right maneuvering, a couple of swift boxing jabs, just to get close, would be all I needed.

In such a small distance, I could just snap her neck.

I could hear the noise in my mind, the satisfying crack. Humans could easily crack each other's necks; how easy did she think it would be for me? Especially because she was moving at a snail's pace. Despite the sweat that dripped from her thick hair, and the quick breaths she inhaled and exhaled.

To be honest, I anticipated her every move because it felt like she was taking minutes to make them.

Which is all why I was pulling my punches.

"I'm just getting used to it!" I snapped, trying to keep a lid on it. On the vicious temper that dared to flare, "You know, it's been a while since I've actually sparred!"

Hayden was quick with her movements, but I would always be quicker, and that was good. But she wasn't even trying to engage me, she was just trying to get me to move. It was annoying.

When she suggested this, I declined the offer. Until she threw a pillow at me, and punched it against my gut. Leaving me little to no choice to engage in a practice combat session. I guess I could have used it, after all, I couldn't remember the last time I got some minutes in.

Hayden was strong for a human, enough to encourage me to fight back against her. I knew better than to mistake her humanity against mine as weakness, she could be just as strong.

Well, metaphorically. When it came to physical strength, I could kick her ass.

"Bullshit!" She hissed accusingly, pain spiking through her eyes. It was because she was putting too much weight on her foot, "I know you. I can tell when you're pulling back, Selene!"

"I don't want the neighbors to complain!" I argued, even I was disappointed by the weak excuse, "We already broke the stupid lamp! And I can hear them complaining through the walls!"

These painfully thin walls. There was a man in the room below us who urinated almost every ten minutes. Honestly, if hell was a real place on earth, then I was burning in it here and now.