Evolution: Chapter 46

Three humans; and they were all worth something to me.

Time itself seemed to slow down at the first fire of a gun. I could almost hear the whistle of the bullet pierce through the air, cutting it in half at lightning speed. If I'd known any better, it would be lodged in my chest.

Thankfully, Freddie was faster than bullets.

His hands grabbed me from behind, shifting me so fast the world blurred around me. Was this what it looked like when he was running at the speed of light!? I had no idea how he made sense of anything like this.

A breeze blew my hair from my face, stuffing itself down my throat for a moment. When I craned my neck behind me, I saw the car was at the opposite side of the secured parking lot. My head was spinning, and Freddie pressed a hand against my back.

"That really isn't the outfit you want to be wearing," Freddie peered out from behind the large car we sought cover behind, "When people are firing at us!"

I'm pretty sure my unamused glare informed him this wasn't the time, nor the place. I wanted to vomit and shout all at the same time, "Where they hell did they come from!?" I demanded, spotting no less than seven armed men.

Panic itched under my skin as my eyes searched for the others. From what I could tell, Eric was at the opposite side of the parking lot. I knew without a doubt he would be armed, after all, he was the man prepared for any situation.

Tyrion would have found cover quickly, I could already sense his movements. I knew not to worry about Theo, so all it swan-dived towards the well-being of Damien. I had no idea where he was.

I couldn't smell any blood in the air, so at least I knew he wasn't wounded.

"I'm going to do a quick perimeter check." Freddie was bouncing on his heels, still crouched down next to me, "Do me a favor; don't move."

Yeah, I wasn't exactly feeling real primed to run across dead man's land. Freddie vanished in the blink of an eye, and I took the moment to slip the shoes from my feet. I would be faster, and quieter without them.

And seen as I had no idea what was going on, I was taking any advantage.

Shouts arose, followed by more shots that made my heart jump inside my chest. I hated guns, I hated what they done, and I especially hated the noise they made. The sound of flesh smacking across flesh met my ears, before Freddie was back beside me.

Panting slightly, he shook his head with a pained look, "Special bullets." He grunted, and my eyes widened at the blood stain growing larger on his side, "I think they have some sort of tranquilizer in them."

Lifting up the shirt allowed for the blood to run freely down his tan chest. Staining the waistline of his jeans in rich crimson, pouring out from a deep bloody wound. Just looking at it made me wince for him.

"Ugh, that looks painful." I honestly did feel for him, but my brows furrowed in confusion, "Why's it not healing?"

By now, the bullet should already be pushing itself out of Freddie's body. Instead, he was still bleeding, and my panic must have shown on my face.

"Why does my luck suck all of a sudden!?" He huffed, looking like he wanted to slam his head off the car door.

My mouth opened wordlessly, but it didn't change the situation, "I need to take that bullet out." I stated, yanking his shirt up, "Hold this, and grit your teeth."

Freddie's hands slapped mine away before I could even touch him. I felt white hot fear sear through the bond, and a stubborn kind of resignation.