Evolution: Chapter 8

Genesis.

I had heard a word like that from somewhere before. Not that I had any idea what it could mean, but I knew it symbolized something new. Which only made me question it more; how could it be new, if this is where I was created?

And what did that mean?

Sloane stayed behind to run more tests on me. For the first time, I didn't question them. My whole life, I wanted to know what was being put inside me, and why. It was strange to not question it, but I think it was because I was just so...tired.

After giving me a couple of injections and checking my vitals, she gave me clothes. They weren't like the ones I'd worn before, or thermal like the cabin ones.

"It's all we could find in your size." She explained, whilst I touched the fabric. It was black and white stripes, nice to look at, "I can measure you later. Find some clothes that will actually fit you, but for now..."

Whoever had worn this before, must have favored it. Despite it being washed often, their scent still lingered on it. Behind the laundry detergent was a feminine tint mixed with an old kind of musk. Probably their perfume, thankfully, it's scent was almost gone.

"Is she better?" I asked, pulling the fabric over my head. It fell to just above my knees, loose fitted, like a too big tee, "The girl who it belonged to? She was sick when she wore this."

A surprised expression crossed Sloane's features, "You could tell by smelling it?" She asked, handing me a wet cloth, "That thing has been in storage for years."

"Oh." I blurted, coming to an understanding, "She's dead."

The woman gave me an apologetic smile, "She was ill." Sloane confirmed, which wasn't hard to guess, "What else can you tell, from the smell of it?"

Running my fingers down the cotton, I clenched the fabric in my hands. Inhaling, as I felt it press against my skin, and then buried my nose into the neckline of it. There were lots of things I could have told about it, had I gotten it earlier.

"Just that she was sick." I shrugged, it was the most potent scent tinged in it. Not all that comfortable either, but durable, "She took a lot of medication. The sickness, it part of her."

Deeply rooted. The kind that was difficult to dig out and get rid of, it was not the subtle kind either. I could imagine it being painful, and weakening her. There were other scents but they were too faded to make out, not that it mattered.

Just the lingering ghost of it...was awful.

Sloane looked intrigued, "Have you always been able to scent that type of thing?" She asked, whilst I scrubbed my face clean, and I shrugged a shoulder.

"I smell new things every day." I commented, pushing my overgrown hair behind my shoulders, "Some are new, but not everything."

I caught my reflection in the mirror, and paused for a moment. I'd lost weight since leaving the base; my cheekbones were more defined, and my chin was more pointed. It made my eyes look too round, like I was in a constant state of wonder.

Turning away from myself, I found Sloane watching me. There were ghosts in her eyes as she observed me, and she gave a half kind of smile. It confused me, the way she stared at me. Like I was someone she knew, but had never met before.

"Fascinating." Was all she said, and then held out a pair of dirtied sneakers to me, "You're probably not used to hand-me-downs, but they're the best we have just now."

She was right; I wasn't. I stared at the shoes with distaste, and shook my head at her, "They belonged to a runner." I commented, wrinkling my nose, "And they sweated a lot."