Evolution: Chapter 47

I thought I was safe.

Running as quickly as I could, I was distracted by my own nerves, and that's what put me in danger. I wheeled around a large catering van, only to find myself facing the barrel of a gun.

My chest tightened painfully, and I gasped when the woman's finger moved towards the trigger. Void of emotion over her features, her eyes flickered with delight at the sight of me, before they rolled into the back of her head.

"You're lucky." Warren growled at me, his expression that of fury. He looked like he wanted to kill me instead, "I should have left you to die!"

I hadn't seen him since the last time I tried to kill him. Not that there was evidence of any such altercation, in fact, he looked brand new.

However, those were emotions of regret I needed to box up and shove to the side, I could deal with them later.

Breath trembled over my lips as I pressed my back against the van. Shock radiated through me at how close I just came, to almost losing everything.

"What are you doing here!?" I snapped, then arched my neck, "Your brother's not here too, is he?"

"We were passing through the city when we sensed it." Warren muttered, his gaze briefly sweeping over me, "Danger perception, it comes with the fox thing. By the time we got here, Hayden was already gearing up. Not that it's any of your business."

Relief swelled through at the knowledge of Hayden being okay. She was armed, and now I had one less thing to worry about.

"Tyrion has a plan." I muttered, and Warren rolled his eyes in disdain. His reddish-brown hair messed from dragging his hands through it, "Pick them off; one by one."

"Sounds like a slow plan." Warren scowled, eyes moving through the darkness. He pressed his back against the van beside me, "When this is over, don't think I'm not coming for your ass for what you done to me."

Annoyance speared through me, but I had to pause. Warren's eyes started to glow a radiant shade of blue, and he let out a furious roar, "I'll distract them." He grunted gruffly, doing just that by attracting the red beam of the sniper's bullseye, "Go."

I'd never really seen Warren in action, but Wayland soon followed in shoot. From the opposite side of the parking lot, I heard his rumbling roar.

My head turned just in time to see Warren tear through a group of armed assassins, hitting them with enough force to send them flying backwards.

Giving me the opportunity to dart away. My breathing grew heavier more because I was nervous, than it being due to excursion. 

Somehow, I managed to make it the majority of the way through the cars, and a snapping noise caught my attention.

Eric stared at me from behind a sleek sports car that gave him little cover. My shoulders slumped as a coolness spread through me, and I couldn't stop the smile from crossing over my face. Sweat dripped down from his hair, and there was tension in his body, but he was okay.

"Little wolf," Ripper called my name in a low whisper, and my head snapped towards him, "How about we just excuse ourselves from this-"

Ripper's words were drowned out when a piercing noise suddenly cut through the air. Mind shattering pain exploded through my head, the high-pitched frequency slicing through my ears like hot knives.

A cry escaped me, my hands slapping over my head to protect it. I felt myself hit the ground but it didn't matter, all I could think about was the pain. Fear trickled through it, creating a cocktail of locking emotions inside me.