Evolution: Chapter 21

Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip.

Listening to the thick blood run down my fingers, falling from the tip of my nail, and hitting the ground, was like a song. A weirdly compulsive one, maybe I liked it so much because I knew the tune wouldn't change.

Although, it was starting to dry into my skin now.

"We need to talk."

A tone dripped in dry disapproval made my gaze left. Surprise nibbled at the numb haze I sat in, at the sight of Ripper. Leaning so casually against the doorframe, a lit cigarette lazily held between his fingers.

Despite his lips being curved, he didn't look amused in the slightest.

Our heads turned at the deep drawl, surprise trickled through me. Ripper leaned against the doorframe, a lit cigarette held between his fingers. His lips were curved but he didn't look pleased at us, at all.

"About what?" I questioned, rising from my bed. Lukewarm water splashed from the tap over my hands, "It was just a disagreement."

Zero stared at the man in a haze, stuck between amazement he was back, and annoyance that he'd been gone. Her hair fell down her back like a sheet of white satin, it would have made her look delicate, paired with her ivory like features.

"It was." Zero remained impassive as she spoke, yet, her demeanour changed. After all, she found it harder to lie to her creator, maybe it's because he's the one who saved her, "We have it handled."

Ripper exhaled a thick puff of smoke into the cabin, inviting himself in. A richly scented cologne had faded into the material of his dark grey shirt, making it comfortable to smell. Not much had changed about him, his arrogance still hung from him like a protective layer.

It was an oddly familiar feeling, being this close to him.

Something about his scent was welcoming to me, it felt like...what I imagined a home to feel like. Despite his face being incredibly annoying, his scent embraced like it was an old friend. It made me feel a dozen years younger.

"Liar." He smirked at her, his strong jaw shifted as he observed me. Drawing my attention to the meticulous care put into his facial hairs grooming, "You forget, Selene. I know you better than anyone; I designed you."

Zero's lips pressed together as her adoring gaze shifted between us. Something in her eyes that she wouldn't let me read, as she fell in step behind him. A flash of regret speared through her, but not towards me, I don't know who it was for.

Blood mixed with the water as it circled the drain, washing my actions away. His brow raised at me in the mirrors reflection, "I'm handling it." I shrugged, a careful wall being built around the thoughts I didn't want, "I'm fine."

No. I wasn't.

As if hearing the same stupid voice whispering at the back of my mind, Ripper scoffed. He regarded the cabin like it was lesser than he, "Aggravation, aggressive behaviour, out of character remarks, probably experiencing some physical changes," Ripper listed a fair few of the symptoms I'd been experiencing, making my movements halt. He stopped with a sigh, casting Zero a knowing look, "Still up to your old tricks, my darling. You should have come to me."

"Leisurely visits aren't really an option for me," Her pale fingers trailed across the chunky collar around her neck, "Besides, I know how to help her through it. I done it myself, she can do it too."

Moments passed, with them just looking at each other. Zero's expression was completely at ease, her head even tipped a little. It made her intensely blue gaze look almost innocent, because her eyes were so round.