Evolution: Chapter 9

"You must be hungry. Come, we'll see if lunch is still being served."

Food. Just the thought of it made my mouth fill with saliva. Bringing forth a rumbling thunder in my stomach.

"I want to see my pack." I say instead, determination in my tone, "Is that where we are going? To them?"

This may be the longest we've been apart since our escape. Every day we have been in each other's company.

Learning and knowing who we are as one, rather than several.

Time had created...a bond between us. Different from what we had before, it was something I could feel inside myself.

"Of course," Sloane looked as if it were absurd to think otherwise. Absurd. It was a word Ripper used almost every day, and I found myself using it too, "They're going a little...crazy without you."

Her slight hesitation, in choosing her words, caught my attention. It made me wonder if she was referring to one Splice, in particular.

And if so: the guess wouldn't be hard to make.

"Are all of us here?" The question was vague. I don't know why, or if I did.

Sloane, on the other hand, caught on. Her round dark eyes had knowledgeable understanding in them.

It kind of made her look...wiser. If even possible.

"Yes." She confirmed, glancing briefly. I wonder if she saw a reaction, and if so, what was it? "All of you have made recoveries from the attack."

There was something in her voice. Hidden away behind formal words, and perfectly composed features.

Sloane was the picture of calm. I cocked my head, watching her closely.

Was she like the other's? Or was this paranoia kicking in?

I hated not knowing. When had I become so suspicious?

My brows furrowed at the sight before me. Tall wooden gates held together with brass designs towered ahead.

Holding them up were cobbled walls, rough from facing years' worth of weather. Age dripped from them, telling me all kinds of secrets.

"They're in there?" I questioned, feeling my hackles rise, despite myself, "It looks like an enclosure."

Enclosures. Its what humans kept animals caged in, in a zoo. I didn't even realise that before.

But, I suppose I didn't have to. What, with so many species dying now.

That which we hunted for sport were almost extinct. Others were like trophies, killed for their furs.

Eric told me about it once. I don't even know when. Years ago, maybe. I've not had much time to dwell on memories.

Perhaps it was the first time I ever saw a picture of a wolf. It was beautiful. A creature I'd always known of, but had never seen before. It was strange to think some of the creature shared DNA with me, when it looked so...fearless.

Thick grey fur covered its entire body, laden with muscle. Its head was bowed in the camera's direction, like it was stalking towards the photographer. Hinting at a snarling snout, I could see the white tips of canines exposed.

No traces of fear could be found. But, there was intelligence there, in its heavy stare. Perhaps it knew that its land was hosting an unwanted species. I guess I could understand that type of hostility, humans aren't exactly my best friend either.

At the time, I resonated with it. An image of a creature that was aware of something off, but instead of attacking, it observed. Now, I felt differently towards it. I could see it wasn't just watching the human's, it was biding its time.