Evolution: Chapter 24

Night fell and rose quicker than I imagined.

Most of my night had been spent wandering around the empty house. There were so many different doors that it got boring, after a while. More of them were locked than I thought there'd be, making me lose interest pretty quickly.

So, when morning come and so did a new scent, I was on my feet quickly. I could hear her moving around in the kitchen. My bare feet silently moved across the floors as I made my way downstairs, inhaling the waft of cooking meat.

"Are you just going to loiter by the door," A firm voice questioned, followed by the sound of dishes splashing into water, "Or, are you going to sit down?"

Gwen met my eyes for less than a couple of seconds, before looking away. Busying herself with taking an omelette out of a pan, and preparing two plates. My nose wrinkled at the meats, although I'm not sure why.

Meat was my favorite thing to eat.

"Are you the only one who works here?" I questioned, noticing the way she stiffened at the sound of my voice. It made my lips curve slightly, "Is something wrong?"

Her horrified expression when she first saw me replayed through my mind. Her auburn hair was pulled back into a loose knot at the nape of her neck, only a couple of her curls left loose. The scent of the house clung to her, soaked into her skin and laid in her hair.

Oh yeah, she was in this house every day.

"Nothing." Gwen replied, her tone curt. She gestured towards the doorway that led into a large dining room, "Sit down. The food will be done soon."

Ripper was already sitting at the head of the table, leaving eleven seats open. I'd never seen such a long table in my life, its surface entirely polished. His elbow was balanced on the table, jaw propped against his fist as he read over papers.

"She awakens." He greeted in boredom, not lifting his eyes from the papers. He leaned back in his seat, looking nowhere ready to be awake and on his feet, "Hmm. She didn't hound you to get up, did she?"

Obviously referring to Gwen, I shook my head. Taking the seat third down from where he sat at the head, I settled. Fresh flowers had been placed in a marble vase in the middle, a large floral display of it all.

"Nope." I clicked my tongue, pressing my back into the seats plush cushion, "She can't even look at me, it's pretty fun."

The doors to the kitchen swung open as Gwen entered the room, a silver tray balanced in her hands, "Damian, get your elbows off the table," She barked, not even having to look at him, "Selene, stop playing with your hair at the table."

My eyes fell to my hands that laid limply on her lap. Ripper followed my gaze but said nothing, "Someone's in a chirpy mood this morning." He grunted, accepting the glass of poured tea.

"Someone drank half of the liquor cabinets contents," Gwen clapped back without missing a beat, completely avoiding looking at me. Her fingers paused, pouring hot water into a delicate glass, as if she made a mistake, but kept going, "You need to bathe, you smell like a cheap mini bar."

The woman placed a teacup in front of me, steaming from the heat. Peppermint assaulted my nostrils, mixed in with fresh lemon that was an oddly calming combination. Why, Gwen had chosen to give me it, I don't know.

But I'd drink it.

"Don't harass me, woman," Ripper groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. He cut into the freshly made omelette, "You have no idea of what my workload is, I'm a very important man."

Gwen didn't look impressed, "I've known you're an important man since you were six years old, Damian." She reminded him, her tone dry, "And it doesn't mean to get to walk around looking and smelling like a hobo."