Evolution: Chapter 25

"Delia fell ill when she turned nineteen and asked me to find a cure." Ripper informed me, leaning against the stainless-steel lab table, "She was my first test subject. Together, we found this idea to genetically mutate a human's biology. It was ground breaking, but very dangerous."

How did I not realize it sooner? It was so obvious now. Our scents were similar but different, but not enough for me to completely bypass the knowledge. Talk about living in denial, I must be a known resident.

"Chimera's were just a key to opening a whole door; Splices." He carried on, a slight curve to his lips. He strode to one of the doors built into the wall, "Creating something self-healing, strong, fast; a weapon, if one would like. It was everything I wanted for my sister dearest, alas, she didn't live long enough to see you."

An electronic key pad presented itself, but I paid no attention as Ripper opened it. My thoughts were too twisted in my own head, no wonder I never had the urge to truly kill him. Yes, he annoyed the hell out of me, but when it came to Ripper, I'd always felt a connection.

And now, I knew what it was.

"I didn't plan on making more females, after what Zoe done." Ripper continued, his tone nostalgic. I heard the hiss of air as a door opened, and a chill swept through the air, "But the thing about science is repetition can lead to finding the perfect combinations, until every inch of research is reliable. And who could pass up such an opportunity?"

My eyes flickered towards him, just in time to see him walk through the open doorway. Dry ice floated out as lights flickered on inside, and I pushed myself from the spinning seat to follow. My hands limp by my side as I moved.

"So, I made you. My sister was dead, and I had samples of her DNA. All I needed was a vessel." Ripper continued, barely taking notice of the coldness gripping the air, "I needed someone to honor her legacy, and mine. After all, I needed someone strong and like-minded to inherit all I have to leave."

Bitterness crawled back up my throat, making the silver stained room around me flash red. In here, was much more than there was out there. The door slid shut behind us, trapping me in a room filled with all kinds of test tubes filled with elixirs.

Oddly, I could even recognize some of what was in here. Certain smells drew towards the end of the room, where a preserved case had blood samples. My lips parted at the perfectly printed labels on the front;

Subject 0

Subject 1

Subject 2

Subject 3

Subject 4

Subject 5

Subject 6

Except, those were the only numbers I knew. There were other numbers, but they didn't smell the same, they were different. Only some of them were of the same blood, but smelled different, decayed, even.

"You made me," I began in a hardened tone, throwing him a look over my shoulder, "To replace your dead sister?"

Ripper had his thumb pressed against another security lock, "No." He answered bluntly, his tone taking on a dry edge, "I made you for me. I had too much information, too many secrets needing hidden, so I created another Ripper who was powerful enough to protect it all. It's why I can't let Veronica have you, you have too many details in your DNA."

Another Ripper.

"Are you my father?" It was a simple question. Surprised by how much emotion it lacked, I wonder when it would hit me, "If I have your DNA and your sister's, what does that make me to you?"