chapter thirteen.

Thalia's POV

After the appointment, we end up going for the Chinese food that Nate had agreed to. I wound up ordering an insane amount of Beijing beef and chow mein, while he opted for an insane amount of orange chicken and chow mein.

"I'm so ready for this food." I grin, not being able to withhold myself from bouncing in my seat as Nate nods, smiling.

"I wanna talk to you about your future." He looks at me. I nod, for him to continue. "Well, are you planning to go to college?"

"I'm not sure... I'm going to have this baby and I don't know if I'll have time." Nate immediately shakes his head.

"No, Thalia, you're going. You have me, your parents and Grayson's parents to help." He sighs. "I want you to go this semester. I didn't go and I regret it, but you've got to provide a secure future for your son, because we don't have a single clue on what Grayson will do once he finds out."

My heart breaks, realizing what could happen. I don't even want to say the full sentence in my head.

"But I won't have time... With the baby and school?" I start to feel a little overwhelmed just by the thought. "And money?"

He sighs, "Yes, Lia, it's going to be hard, but you can do it. Do it for the baby, so the baby has a secure future. And if that isn't enough, do it for you. You deserve a good future too."

My chest tightens and I know I have to do this.

"Okay..."

We leave the conversation for another time and struggle to find another topic. Soon, some old classmates walk in and they aren't quiet with their remarks.

She's already with a new guy? She's still definitely pregnant. Does Grayson know? I always knew he was too good for her.

I eat faster than I thought I could, and surprisingly, Nate and I finish eating at the same time and clean up.

"Once we get home, I want to continue talking about college and where your future is going, okay?" He smiles as he helps me get up.

"Okay, that sounds good." I follow him back to the car. Every second that my mind is blank, is a second gone to Grayson.

My mind recalls every last detail of him, from the little scar on his lip to the way he laughs at my lame jokes. My mind relishes in his memory, his touch, his humor, his love.

It hasn't even been a full day and I already want him back, so so bad. But the judgement from my former classmates also clouds my mind.

By the time we get home, Nate and I are ready to do some college talk and then talk about jobs and living arrangements.

"So, back to college talk." Nate sits at the island as I walk around, to help with digestion and maybe walk off a bit of the calories I had just ingested.

"What exactly about college?" I rub the bump and bite my lip.

"Well, what do you want to study for?" He asks, playing with a ring on his index finger. I think a bit.

"Teaching? I've always been good at it." I smile softly. He smiles and nods, agreeing.

"You always tutored other kids. I think it'd be great. What would you teach?"

I hum, thinking about what I'm good at.

"Art and English?" I rub my eyebrow, gently.

"You've always been good at booth of those subjects. Maybe start with English, they're in higher demand." I can almost see the gears turning in his head as he figures out a plan for me and the baby. Then, he brings up jobs and suggests places where I do a lot of walking and almost no lifting.

Finally, we talk about living arrangements and I decide he should just officially move in with all of his stuff, since he's investing so much here anyway. He agrees as he returns to giving examples of which jobs I should apply to. My heart swells with happiness as I realize how much he's willing to help with.

I could not have asked for a better friend.