chapter twenty-three.

Nate's POV

My eyes start to open and my ears are filled with the sweet symphonies that are Theo and Lia's giggles. I turn over in bed to find Lia sitting up, cross legged, supporting Theo by his hands and helping him stand, they're playing. His chubby little legs waver as he stands and giggles cutely at the funny faces Lia is making. I smile just as Theo turns and grins, squealing excitedly now that I'm awake.

Lia turns and smiles, sending my heart into an uneven pattern, while my stomach seems to be a professional gymnast with the flips it's doing.

"Good morning, Nate." She smiles at me before returns her smiles and wiggling eyebrows to Theo. I sit up and lean over to kiss his chubby cheek.

"Good morning Lia, good morning my little Theo." I smile as I sit up, cross legged, and turn to face them. Theo immediately squeals and leans towards me to try and get to me, causing Lia to giggle.

"I think he's going to try to start walking soon." She whispers. I nod and take his little hands from Lia to play with him. This gives her an opportunity to shower.

For 7 wonderful months, we've had Theo. He's been the light of my life as well as Thalia. I live for these two. I work my ass off for weeks at a time to support them. This isn't the life I asked for, but it's the life I love, and the life they deserve.

He may not be my biological son, but blood means nothing when the father's out of the picture and I'm raising his son. I am Theo's father without a question. This is Thalia and I's child.

I play with Theo for a bit before he starts to get a little fussy, gnawing on his fist. I chuckle softly and reach over to the nightstand where we left his favorite toy to gnaw on.

"Here you go bubba. Now, we have to go downstairs, I have a surprise for mumma." I mumble as I carry him downstairs and set him in his high chair with some mushy baby food in a plate.

I quickly rush to get her flowers and her card from the garage and set them near her usual spot on the table before beginning to cook her favorite breakfast. Chocolate chip and blueberry pancakes.

Just as I plate both of our pancakes and grab glasses of milk, I hear the water for the shower turn off. I quickly set up our food and begin to clean Theo's little mess up and properly feed him.

After a couple minutes, I hear her coming down the stairs.

"Nate did you make pancakes?" I hear her ask loudly from the stairs. She's still on the stairs, she hasn't seen everything yet. I feel my nerves spike up as I find myself hoping she reads the card first.

"Yes, Lia, hurry, they're probably a little cold." I smile as Theo giggles.

She comes down and I can't bring myself to look at her. What if she has a disgusted look? Or maybe she's angry?

I hear her begin to open the card and my heart stops beating as she reads it.

Thalia's POV

I shakily open the card, my heart pounding.

Dear Thalia,

Within the past year, we've grown closer than ever. I've come to know what a great person you are. You're without a doubt beautiful inside and out. You are the strongest woman I've ever met, and you're an amazing mother. I am so proud to call you my best friend. But you see, that title doesn't seem as appealing as it used to be. This year has changed us. You've changed how I look at you by just being your amazing self.

Your kind, outgoing, and caring nature have drawn me in like a moth to a flame. My heart beats out of my chest every time I see you after a trucking gig. My stomach leaps with excitement every time I wake up and see you and Theo. My hands tremble every time I can't hold you. My heart falters whenever I see you cry. Your pain has become my pain. Your laughter has become my reason to keep striving for better. Your smile is what keeps me sane. Your life is my life now. Your son is my son too.

And I couldn't ask for it to be any better.

The point of this card isn't to confuse you, but to tell you something I've been wanting to tell you for a while now.

I am in love with you. I am in love with your beautiful brown eyes, your silky, soft black hair, your heart, your soul, your being, your everything. I am so hopelessly in love with you. I only hope you feel the same way. If you don't, it's fine. I'll still be here as a best friend and father to Theo.

Yours,
Nate.

My heart pounds as I look back up at him, my heart racing for him. The same way it has been for over 3 months.

He isn't looking at me and he's blushing, so I know he's listening.

"Nate... I love you too."

Five words changed my life for the better. Now that Nate and I were official, we didn't have to feel bad or awkward about the couple times we hooked up. I didn't have to hide my feelings for him and he didn't have to hide his. With this new relationship, I'm more than certain that we can give Theo a wonderful home and family.

There's only one problem. As I lay in bed, my bare body against Nate's, I continue stroking his hair, but I've got my mind elsewhere. His peaceful breathing and the sounds of the night would've usually lulled me to sleep by now, but I can't sleep. I'm too busy thinking.

I wonder how Grayson's doing...