chapter seventeen.

Thalia's POV

The aggressive letter I sent to Grayson seems to have worked. He's called me twice since then and written once, apologizing and saying he should've talked to me about missing me instead of ignoring me.

Now that my relationship seems to have been fixed, starting college and my job is easier. Sadly, Nate still has two days before he gets back home from his first long haul trip. He did leave me a note on the kitchen counter, stating that I open the letter the day I started college and the job. 

As I walk over to my room to get it, I realize what a terrible week this is to start college. My skin's been really oily, my legs have been achy and a slightly swollen, and during this week, the doctor said most women get a UTI so I'm expecting one of those ever so pleasant surprises. On the other hand, there are actual baby kicks instead of fluttering, and the little kicks instantly make me feel better about everything.

I open up the letter and begin to read.

Dear Lia,
I'm really sorry I can't be there on this exciting day, you know how much I wanted to be there too! I can't wait to get home and see how you're adjusting to college and working! But you've got to promise me that even if you think you can't do it, you'll still try your absolute best in everything. If you're feeling overwhelmed, go straight to Mrs. Edmond. I'm going to keep this short and sweet and tell you this. 

If you're no longer enrolled into college when I get back, I'm going to hang you by your toes! Now go along and conquer the day.

With much love and eternal support,
Your best friend,

Nate 

I smile and tuck the letter into my bag, keeping it as a good luck charm of sorts. I take a deep breath and begin the short drive to the college.

Upon arrival, I notice the bustle of students and recognize a few faces here and there. I make a beeline for my first class and check my watch. I'm 10 minutes early and there are only three other students seated in the class so far. I recognize a girl I graduated with and my heart sinks. She's one of the people who pestered me about being pregnant.

I pull my cardigan closer to me to try and conceal the bump further and it doesn't do anything other than accentuate it. I hear her chair scrape the floor as she stands up and her footsteps get closer. All I do is fiddle with a bracelet Grayson gave me before prom and hope she's going towards the door and not me.

The footsteps stop and she sits in front of me. I don't dare look up, in fear of facing her knowing smirk.

"Hey Thalia." She smiles. I force myself to look up and I muster a smile.

"Hello Jean." She glances at my belly and smiles softly.

"You know, I actually really admire that you've decided to continue school while pregnant." My eyes widen in shock.

"Oh, uhm, thank you." I smile softly. She nods, a genuine and inviting smile still adorning her features.

"Of course! If you ever need help with absolutely anything at all, feel free to come to me." She seems a little nervous, "And if you want to hang out with me and my friends, please do so."

My heart swells but my stomach clenches. I can't tell whether she's serious or not. 

By the end of class, I find out she's serious when she gives me her home phone number and her friends greet me with the warmest smiles I've seen in months.

After English, I head to Math, then I have an hour between, to which I eat. Then I tackle a  science class and now I have to go to work for the school's cafe.

The day goes by smoothly since I'm only starting my training. I get home at 6:08 pm and couldn't be more hungry or more exhausted. But I also can't help being proud of myself. I made friends and I successfully finished my first day of college and (technically) work!