chapter nineteen.

Thalia's POV

Today marks the beginning of my third trimester, and to check up on baby Dolan's growth, I've got an ultrasound as well. Nate will be here with me for the appointment, but has to leave for a haul soon after.

As I buckle up to go to the appointment, I groan and hold the baby bump as a false labor contraction begins.

"You okay?" Nate asks, glancing at me, then back at the road. I force a nod and sigh softly as it eases up.

"Braxton Hick." 

Within twenty minutes, we were at the hospital, getting the ultrasound. The doctor was checking for the position of the umbilical cord, amount of amniotic fluid, placental position, the baby's weight, and position, as well as the overall well being and circulation. 

"Well, the umbilical isn't around the baby's neck, so that's a good sign." Dr. Abbott smiles, then continues to do some more moving around. "Fluid seems pretty good, placental position too. Everything looks perfect! You've got a big, strong baby." He smiles at me and I blush.

"Thank you." I smile just as he starts to move the wand around a bit more.

"Although you have everything on track, I'd like to continue scheduling ultrasounds for the baby, since this is your first child and you deal with regular stress." Dr. Abbott states while Nate frowns slightly.

"I have a question." The doctor is shocked that Nate has actually spoken to him. Nate was often the silent one with a piercing gaze.

"Uhm, yes?" 

"Lia gets these leg aches and cramps, how can she deal with these?" He shoots a small smile at me and I blush. I hadn't even remembered to ask the doctor.

"Elevate the legs. Fluffy pillows and your bed will be your greatest friends in these situations." He smiles. I nod.

"Thank you so much, when should I come in again?"

"Two weeks. Or if you have any sort of breakdown or anything, give me a call and we'll see what we can do." He smiles. I nod and ease myself out of the chair, with the help of Nate.

Once Nate and I got back home, we ate, and I packed him enough food to last three or so days. He enjoys the home cooked meals and prefers them over having to stop for fast food or something at a gasoline station. 

Once Nate and I go to his parked truck, I feel my eyes glaze over.

"Stay safe, stay hydrated and don't forget to stretch your legs." I smile. He chuckles.

"Of course, Lia. I could tell you the same exact thing." He chuckles and begins to grab his stuff. "Don't forget to elevate your legs and do plenty of walking."

"Of course." I smile and step out to hug him. I pull him close and sigh.

I've come to realize that I'm pretty shitty at goodbye's.

The next day goes normally. That is until I realize my math grade has begun to drop. Then, I find out that my science class is getting considerably harder. And of course, work is horrendous. My heart rate seems to only increase as my hearing and vision begin to waver with the amount of stress in my system. I have to leave early to try and control myself but I can almost feel my sanity falling away in huge chunks.

Driving home is hell. At this point I feel like I'm dangerously driving. So when I get home, I'm absolutely relieved. I rush into the apartment and allow the breakdown to happen in full swing.

Nate isn't even here to help or stop me from doing something stupid.

My mind is unhinged and before I know it, I'm on the phone with my college counselor.

"Drop me." I instantly whisper.

"Excuse me?" She asks, shocked, "Thalia, is that you?" I quiver as tears run faster down my cheeks.

"Y-yes Mrs. Edmond." I take in a shaky breath. "Just drop me, please... I just can't do this anymore..." Desperation is clear in my voice.

"Thalia. You are so, so strong. Please, don't do this. You've been doing phenomenal. You're ahead of the game and have some of the highest grades within the entire student body. You are such an intelligent young woman. Just... Just take a breather. You've just got a couple more days and then a weekend. You can do this."

I break down crying, "Th-thank you..."

I am so thankful for her.