chapter twenty-two.

Thalia's POV

For the first time in months, I'm feeling nauseous. It doesn't help that I've also got the runs and I'm experiencing some cramping. After taking some sips of cold water and readjusting my sweater, I turn to look at Nate. I watch his wash dishes tiredly and I feel several emotions. Gratefulness and guilt. He's been working his heart out and catching hauls one after another, and he comes home to help me clean right after. I feel useless when this happens, but before I can dig myself into a deeper set of thoughts, I decide I'm ready for bed.

"Nate, can you help me upstairs? I'm ready for bed." I speak softly as he finishes putting away the clean dishes. He turns and smiles tiredly before nodding.

"Of course, I'm ready to sleep as well." He stretches and scratches his bare stomach before walking over and taking my left hand in his left hand while his right hand is placed softly on my lower back.

I groan softly as we start up the stairs. "I'm so ready to pop this little sucker out, I feel like a hippo." I mutter, causing Nate to chuckle and gently rub my back as we steadily get to the top.

"I'm ready to meet him, he's been all the talk lately," he smiles, "And he took over my old room." I finally start to slowly ease myself onto the bed as I agree.

The baby did take over his 'old room'. When Nate got here, he started off sleeping in the other bedroom which would've become a guest bedroom. Then, when Grayson decided to leave me, a week passed, and he started to sleep in my room, because I kept having nightmares. Since he was sleeping in my room every night anyway, we decided to have him just make it our room and turn his old room into a nursery for the baby.

"The first couple months will kind of suck, but he's worth it." I smile softly as we lay down and try to find a comfortable position, our daily battle.

"I know, but I think we'll do absolutely amazing as parents." He grins. As we find the perfect positions, my whole body relaxes and I can feel my joints loosen.

"I think so too." I yawn, "Good night, Nate, I'm exhausted."

"Me too, sleep well, love."

I fall asleep quickly and easily. Hopefully I'll sleep through the night tonight.

But, of course, I wake up in a cold sweat, pain radiating from my lower half. I immediately realize it's one of the Braxton Hicks, which have been much more frequent lately, and check the time. 2:07 am. Just wonderful.

My ever so positive thoughts are beginning to fade into sleep until I get another one. I turn and check the time again. 2:20 am. 

I groan and pull the blankets away from myself, feeling a bit over heated. I ease myself into a sitting position just as Nate starts to wake up. I sigh, feeling guilty.

He sits up and yawns, "Is everything okay?" He asks. I nod.

"Yeah, I'm just thirsty and got a Braxton Hick." I mutter, and as I'm about to speak again, I feel something start to soak the bed, and it's coming from me, as I get another contraction. My eyes widen as I realize exactly what's happening.

"H-h-" I reach over and turn the lamp light on, only illuminating the wet spot around me. "Holy shit!" Nate frowns, but immediately follows my gaze and his eyes widen when he sees it too.

"Are you...?" He asks, shocked.

"I think I'm going into labor."

Thirty minutes and two crying episodes later, Nate and I finally get into the car and begin the journey towards the hospital. The time between contractions has shortened to about every 5 minutes and now I'm in a hospital gown, pacing as Nate uses the hospital phone to call Grayson's parents and my own.

By the time I'm ready to have the baby, Nate tells me that Lisa and Sean are on their way up while my parents didn't answer the phone. I wouldn't have expected it anyway, they've practically disowned me since about two weeks ago.

When the doctor asks who I want in the room, I ask for Lisa and Nate. Sean nods his head in understanding, heading to the waiting room until he's been called back to meet his grandson.

Three hours, 37 minutes, and a huge cry later, I've finally brought my son into this world.

Theodore Bailey Dolan. Born on December 13th, 2017 at 6:27 am. Weighing 8 lbs. with 3 oz. and reaching a length of 23 inches.

He's only been in this world for a mere 3 minutes, and I've already loved every single second of it.