• TWELVE •

Patrick

Walking around the campus with a girl sounds boring as fuck, but walking alongside your mate is different.

I held her hand, it fit so perfectly well in my own.

I listened to her talk on and on about about this and that before ended up falling into a comfortable conversation.

I couldn't help but steal glances at her, and if I was lucky I'd already catch her looking at me, these little looks made my Wolf swell with pride.

I knew I needed to talk to Braxton, I had questions and I definitely needed answers.

"I should start heading to class." She said softly.

I nodded, we walked down various halls hand in hand and we finally reached her class, but I wasn't ready to leave her yet.

"You better go before Ellie gets here." She smiled up at me.

"Elise doesn't scare me." I said before I leaned down just a little to kiss her, it didn't grow further than a lingering peck-

"You should be scared of me." Elise suddenly sounded, causing Mariah to step back a little.

She also giggled, "bye Blue Eyes."

"See you around Duchess..." I said as I watched her go into the classroom.

I turned and looked at Elise, "cockblock."

"Jackass." She countered, not missing a beat as she too entered the classroom and closed the door behind her. Call me crazy but I'm sure I picked up a hint of a smirk.

I rolled my eyes and left, it was time for some answers, hopefully Braxton would be able to help though.

__________

"Patrick Westbrook." Richard Ocklan sounded.

He is Elise's dad and Braxton's uncle from his father's side, he's also my old Beta before Braxton stepped in as Alpha and Ryder took on the Beta role.

I smiled and he gave me a fatherly sorta hug, "Good to see you Mr Ocklan."

He nodded, "what brings you by so early?" He asked as he looked at his watch, "you've started classes with Ellie right?"

"Yes sir." I sounded, "I actually came by to see if I could talk to Brax."

He shook his head, "sorry Patrick, but Alpha Braxton and Beta Ryder have gone away for he weekend, but if you need to talk maybe I can be of assistance."

I shrugged "I don't know." It was true, I really didn't know if he or anyone for that matter could help me.

"Well explain what's going on and we can go from there."

I nodded, "okay...so I've been thinking a lot about mates recently, so what if a guy were in a mood and was just like fuck it I don't want a mate, I reject my mate." I said before remembering who I was talking to. "Sorry for the language."

He only nodded his understanding.

"So again what if a guy were just sitting there, thinking to himself, 'I don't want want, I reject my mate' I mean their Mates Pull would be gone after that right?"

He shook his head, "not necessarily."

"But he thought it, in his mind he literally rejected her."

"Even still." Mr Ocklan sounded assuredly, "just because someone thinks something doesn't make it real, so in turn if the guy thought about rejecting her it's just a thought, He'd have to say it out loud for it to take form, and more so...he'd have to say it TO his mate for the rejection to hold true...otherwise just us talking now you would've rejected your mate twice already." He chuckled.

If what he said was true then I've been fucking around on my mate since the moment she left, I am the most worthless mate ever. It would also explain why after every time I had sex I'd have to run to clear my head and immediately shower to try and wash away the event that had happened.

"W-what if a guy cheats on his mate?" I asked now.

This time he shrugged, "it's hard to tell, mates are our other halves so to hurt them is to hurt ourselves, of course you haven't met your mate yet so any activities you participate in wouldn't hurt your mate until you've begun to start forming your Pull."

"And hypothetically, if I had met her?"

He gave me a questioning look, but given my reputation I'm sure he brushed it off.

"Well if you had met your mate I'd depend on if she were a Were or a human."

"What's the difference?" I asked.

"She-wolves are raised knowing about Mates and in turn also born with the ability to have a mate, therefore when they meet each other the Pull forms almost instantly, with a few road bumps of course pending on each Weres different personality types...but if your mate is a human, you would have to connect with her on multiple levels for the pull to begin forming, you'd have to connect mentally, emotionally, and physically; in short, she'd have to open herself up completely to you for the pull to take place instantly...otherwise you'd have to get to know one another slowly and the pull would build from there over time."

I nodded, and then he chuckled again.

"Of course everything is instant when you're an Alpha though, take Alpha Braxton and Harper for instance."

I couldn't argue with him on that one.

"Thank you Mr Ocklan." I said, he had given me a lot to think about.

"Anytime Patrick."

I left shortly after, my mind was filled and my heart was heavy.

So it seems I have a mate in Mariah, I hadn't truly rejected her and I've been cheating on her. But I was able to go about cheating since our Mates Pull hadn't really formed yet since she left the shortly after I met her.

I recalled the time I had spent with her on our roadtrip, she talked so freely, I felt like I had begun to know who she was, maybe that small mental connection had begun forming the first part of the Pull.

It was easier for me to envision The Mates Pull as a three part thing like Mr Ockland has said, the first part was our mental connect on the road trip, today we had sex, that's gotta be the second part of our pull...further proof, how I couldn't stop kissing her, and felt the need to keep touching her by holding her hand.

The last part of the pull would be the emotional connection, and something tells me that one is going to be the hardest, I've never been one to display my emotions so freely, and I had a strong feeling that Mariah was just as stubborn...but I needed this Pull to fully form for us to be legit Mates.

I got into my car and pulled out my phone, I looked up Elise's number and called her without hesitation, I mean their class should be over already.

"Well look who's calling me." She answered.

"I'm sure you can figure out why I'm call you, but to keep this short I just need you to text me Mariah's number."

"You're such a dick, but you're lucky I want my friend to be happy...so don't fuck this up Pat!"

"I know." I said as I hung up.

It didn't take long for her to text me and I saved the number quickly, I would press my luck and text her later.