• TWENTY THREE•

Once again I spent the night comfortably in Patrick's arms, but unlike the night before that was filled with Sexual explorations...last night was different, and even though we didn't have sex once, it somehow felt a hundred times more intimate.

I opened my eyes when the sound of my phone began to vibrate.

I grumbled as I didn't want to move, but Patrick grabbed my phone for me.

"It's Harper." I said before answering it.

"Morning H." I answered as I repositioned myself comfortably against Patrick. "To what do I owe this unexpectedly early call?"

"Good Morning Mariah, I was wondering if you wanted to join Me at the lake house this week?"

I hadn't been to Braxton's lake house since around the same time last year.

"Lake house this time of year?" I asked as we were already nearing Christmas.

"We don't have to go in the lake, plus Braxton's had a hot tub installed and there's a huge fireplace...come on, we could use a getaway."

"I don't know H, I hate the idea of playing the third wheel for you and Braxton." I protested.

"Well Elise and Vance are going as well."

"Oh great, so I get to be the fifth wheel then." I sighed. "Look I'll think about it but I'm not super sold on it Harper."

"I get it...and I promise I'm going to make it my mission to find you a suitable guy worthy of you."

"Please don't...if I want to be with someone I will do so at my own pace Harper." I said a little sharply. The truth is I'm tired of Harper's meddling.

There was a silent pause and I figured I may as well just go ahead and tell her about Patrick and I. "Actually to be honest with you...-"

She sighed into the phone interrupting me now, "if you're still chasing after Patrick Westbrook you're wasting your time...he's a worthless excuse for a guy who doesn't deserve your time and attention."

I was pissed now, I didn't need her judging my mate.

"You know what Harper, I'm done...when you can learn to accept that this is my life and I can do whatever the hell I want with it then call me, until then, maybe it's best if we steered clear of each other...because no one is perfect not even your Alpha Braxton."

"What did you say?" She asked picking up on my one slip up.

"Alpha male, macho man, guys guy...what ever you want to call him, I'm  almost certain Braxton isn't as perfect as he pretends to be, I'm sure you and him both have your secrets."

"I know Brax isn't perfect Mariah, but you're basically throwing yourself at a guy who'll sleep with anyone." She countered.

"And you think Braxton was a fucking Virgin when you got with him...just because you won't sleep with him doesn't mean he's never slept with anyone before you Harper."

"Low blow M." She sounded hurt.

"Harper...I didn't mean-"

"I gotta go." She said, cutting me off before hanging up altogether.

I looked at Patrick.

"I shouldn't have said that." I admitted.

It's no secret that Harper has always said she's saving herself for marriage.