• FIFTEEN •

Patrick

I stood there pissed off as I watched Harper make her way back to the house. I pulled my
Cellphone out and text Mariah.

[Patrick: Have to cancel tonight...]

[Mariah: Why...lose interest already?]

[Patrick: it isn't for a lack of want, I can assure you that...I've been ordered to stay away from you.]

[Mariah: You've got to be kidding me, so just because someone told you not to talk to me you're just going to stop...this is bullshit Patrick and you know I won't put up with it.]

I growled, I was more than pissed now...if Harper causes Mariah to distance herself more from me she could very well keep my mate and I apart for good.

[Patrick: Harper is my future Luna she didn't tell me, she ORDERED me to stay away.]

[Mariah: I'll talk to her.]
[Mariah: She can't do this!]

[Patrick: Don't worry, I'll talk to Braxton but don't say anything, I don't want you two to fight because of this.]

[Mariah: I guess I'll talk to you later then.]

[Patrick: I'm sorry Duchess, but I'll figure this shit out]

I finally went inside and of course she was the first person I saw, sadness seemed to wash over her as she stood next to Elise.

"Mom are you ready to go?" I asked a little less enthusiastic to being here now.

"I suppose so." She answered, she told everyone goodbye while I waited at the door for her.

Once I got mom home I remained in the car and called Braxton.

"Hey Pat...What's goin on?"

"Alpha I know you're away on business but this is important." I said.

"Sounds like it what's up?"

"Look I mean no disrespect by calling but Harper is over here ordering people around, and for her not being Luna yet...it's not a good look, hell she hasn't even been presented to the pack yet and she's ordering me around."

He only laughed, "surely it isn't anything too serious Pat...sounds to me like you just got your ego bruised."

"She ordered me to stay away from her friend Mariah."

"So then stay away from her, look we all know your reputation with girls so I'm sure my mate's just looking out for the well being of her friend, plus Mariah's been through a lot in the past couple of months." He replied nonchalantly.

I sighed, "She's my mate..."

"Oh."

"Can you see now how that would be a problem for me Brax?"

"I'm sure Harper doesn't know otherwise she would've never done that."

"I'm sure your right, but even still...to order someone to stay away from another person for your own will is an abuse of power by meddling with other people's lives...had it have been anyone other than me they could've taken this over you and gone straight to the council."

"Talk to her and explain the situation." He offered as a solution, "I'm sure she'll undo the order."

"Look Braxton, I'm telling you about Mariah because you're my Alpha and you were going to find out anyways...but Mariah is still unsure about us being together so I don't want to tell a lot of people, who she chooses to tell or not is her decision...so I won't tell Harper if Mariah isn't comfortable with her knowing yet."

"I can respect that you're looking out for your mate." He sighed, "as Alpha I order that you spend as much time with your mate as you can, talk to her, go and visit her, be with each other in whatever way you two deem fit...I'll talk to Harper about her being more careful with her orders."

"Thanks cuz."

"It's nothing...so,Mariah huh?" He said with a slight laugh.

"Yeah."

"And you're just now pursuing her?" He asked.

"It's been complicated, but we met before summer we were on our way out of town together when we found Elise...then she left for California and I left to visit my dad and now...it just seems like everyone and everything is against us being together."

"Hey she's your mate...it'll work itself out in the end."

We talked a little more before we hung up.

I finally took off back toward the frat house, I made a pit stop to fuel up and then got home, but of course Harper and Elise were there waiting for me.

"Hey girls long time no see." I joked, I knew there was only one reason they'd be here.

Harper looked angry, I'd never seen this side of her before.

"We were on our way to go shopping when Braxton called me...you told Braxton on me."

I shrugged, "I told you to leave things be."

Elise looked confused.

Harper turned to fill her in, "as future Luna I ordered Patrick to stay away from Mariah because we all know he's just gonna hurt her and he turned around and tattled to my own mate about me."

Elise looked at me and then back at her friend.

"H, that's kinda not fair of you to put Patrick in that position in the first place...what they do isn't your business."

"You see me as this asshole Harper so that's exactly how I'll explain this...you're abusing power, worse...it's power that hasn't even been presented to you yet, if the council found out they'd mark you as a usurper, someone who wants power but has no formal invitation to the the power...you know what happens to  usurpers?" I asked.

"Patrick that's enough!" Elise growled.

I shook my head, "no Ellie, she needs to know...They are stripped of whatever claims they have to pack power, meaning you'd never be able to become our pack Luna...furthermore, our pack HAS to have an Alpha and a Luna, so Braxton would have to mark another female...they'd be connected forever in a way you and him never would be able to...so while you very well may get married, he'd always have someone else...think about that the next time you try to fuck with me Harper."

She looked like she was on the verge of tears. "I hate you Patrick Westbrook, and I'll make sure Mariah sees exactly who you are."

I shrugged, "a piece of advice as the future Luna...stay out of other people's lives unless it's directly endangering the pack."

The two left shortly after, I went up to my room and pulled out my phone.

[Patrick: Hey Duchess...]
[Patrick: That offer still stand for tonight?]

I was beginning to worry as she didn't reply back immediately.

[Mariah: So I take it you've sorted everything out?]

[Patrick: I told you I'd take care of it.]

Once again she took her time responding.

[Mariah: My brother leaves for work at 8...bring your own toothbrush]

I was excited now, I looked at the time and noticed I still had the entire day to kill before I'd be able to go over.

[Patrick: I guess I'll go for a run and let my Wolf out before he decides to try and take control tonight.]

[Mariah: I might like it if he took control.]

She knew exactly how to get me going.

[Patrick: Now who's playing dirty Duchess?]