• TWENTY FOUR •

As the new week rolled around things with Harper and I remained tense, despite the countless times I've already tried to apologize. I even went so far as to not be seen alone with Patrick even in class as I didn't want to seem like I was rubbing her face in it.

Patrick and I had made it a point to let me leave any classes we shared first (as my classes tend to be further away) and he'd leave the classroom after a majority of the class left...this way no one could say we were waiting for each other.

In the halls we didn't even look at each other, but I could always feel him when he'd be near, and soon after I'd get a text, usually something short and cute.

When Friday rolled around Patrick and I got ready to leave our first class of the day.

[Patrick: Have a good day Duchess]

I smiled knowing he was watching me but I didn't risk looking at him (despite the desperate want I had to look at him) and I text him back quickly as I began to walk out of the classroom.

[Mariah: Can't wait for this weekend, we can be more open since Harper will be out of town.]

As I walked on Elise met up with me.

"Still no luck with H?" She asked, concern filled her face.

I shook my head, "I don't know what else I can do Ellie." I sighed, "I've apologized every day this week, invited her out so we can hangout and talk, and as hard as it is...I've even kept my distance from Patrick."

"You shouldn't have to Mariah...if you'd just tell her."

"I'm trying to Elise," it was true...I had decided that the only way Harper would get over me being with Patrick was if she knew the truth.

From what both Ellie and Patrick had told me, it's not like Mates get to choose who their mate is...So it's not like I chose Patrick as my mate, he just is...and while it's completely out of my control who my mate is...I'm glad it's him.

"But how do I tell her the truth if she won't even talk to me?"

"I'll talk to her." She sighed.

" I have to be the one to tell her."

"And how's Pat?" She asked.

I shrugged, "he's holding up, I can tell he hates the distance (as do I), but I also know he'll respect my wishes."

She nodded, "well I commend him...it isn't easy being away from your mate, especially a freshly marked mate."

I rolled my eyes, "don't remind me."

"...you regretting the mark?"

I shook my head, "no, just makes me horny, and we're trying to keep our distance remember."

She laughed, "ahh, fresh new love."

"Pump those brakes right now..." I said a little caught of guard, "I like the guy and he's definitely easy to be around, but who said anything about love?"

She shook her head, a wry smile still on display, "you're in denial if you think you two don't love each other."

We sat through the class and her last remarks filled my head, I mean there's no way I could love Patrick, not that I don't want to, he's as good a guy as any and I'm his mate...but love, this early...we only just decided to have a relationship.

After a few more hours I was done for the day and I headed straight to the mall, I needed an elegant sort of dress for Patrick's Mother's wedding celebration.