Doing the right thing.

I walked into the cold, gray office. Men in blue uniforms scurry around frantically with paper files in their hands. Eventually one of those files will be mine. I watched as some of  the officers walked and talk with each other about the cases they were assigned to and others rush past me through the door to respond to a call.  Man I hate this place. But it's the only place that can truly help me feel safe.

I wipe my sweaty hands against my pants as I walk up to the receptionist. Even though Blake and Liam are right behind me, I feel alone and lost. I never filed a report because I never wanted to admit to myself that I had an abusive dad that chose his horrific girlfriend over me. Who would want to admit that? But after yesterday, I know that I need to report this, and I know I need a restraining order. If my 'dad' and Tammy knew they were in even bigger risk of getting arrested, they for sure won't mess with me, and the thought of that actually brings a smile to my face. In just a matter of a couple days, I will be truly free. 

"Hi, how may I help you today?" The kind receptionist asks me. 

"I need to speak to someone about a restraining order and pressing charges for abuse." I tell her confidently, even though I feel anything but. 

She looks at me with sympathy, which is exactly the look I was trying to avoid. I don't want anyone feeling bad for me. If I didn't go through what I had, I would have the things that I do today. Granted I wouldn't be standing in a police station if I hadn't been through what I have, but I personally think that it's worth it. 

"Of course. You'll be talking to Chief Thompson. You guys can sit right over there while I inform him you are here." I start to turn around but she stops me. "I'm sorry, I forgot to ask for your name."

I smile at her. "Hazel" 

Blake takes my hand and we all walk over to the waiting area, which lacked color like the rest of the building. I wonder if it's because they're trying to show that they don't allow any funny business. What ever the reason is I don't like. It makes me feel even more nervous for some odd reason. 

"Are you sure you want to go in alone?" Liam asks me. 

"Yes i'm positive. You guys have been so helpful and supportive and I'm so thankful, but this is something I need to do myself."

They nodded. I knew that they didn't really understand why I wanted to go in their alone, but they were still supporting my decision and will be here for me if I need them. 

"Hazel." The receptionist called out. I stood up and looked at her. "The chief is ready for you. Room number 45"

I started walking down the long hall. It felt like I was walking towards death even though I know i'm walking towards freedom. I scanned the doors reading the numbers. 41, 42, 43, 44, 45. Do I just walk in? He knows I'm coming, but is this one of those things where I'm still expected to knock in respect. Deciding to play it safe, I raise my hand up and knock. 

"Come in." 

Slowly, I open the door. When I finally get all the way into the room I'm shocked. In front of my is a guy in his early thirties, and in great shape. I was expecting an old guy in his fifties with a gray handle bar mustache. I really need to stop watching cop shows.

"Please, sit down."He motioned to a chair that sat in front of his desk. I walk over and sit on the edge of the chair.  "So how can I help you today?"

"Um," I start, looking down at my hands "I'm here to file a restraining order and press charges" 

"Why and who do you want to press charges on?" He questions me. Maybe I should have had my Liam and Blake come in with me after all.