Blink of an eye

I pushed open the cold metal doors that led into the school with a smirk on my face. I know i'm about to get some well needed revenge tonight in the court room. Dad and Tammy are going down and it feels so amazing. I break out of my victorious thoughts and part from the crowd in the hall way to stop at my locker, where Blake is waiting for me with a bouquet of flowers. 

"Hey babe." he smiles and gives me a kiss. 

"What are these for?" I question. Did I forget an anniversary or something?

"Just wanted you to know i'll be thinking about you tonight even though I can't be there with you. And that I love you. And that i'm so proud of you. And because-"

"Okay, I get it Romeo. Thank you though." I say with a smile and give him a quick kiss.  

"I'm serious Hazel, I love you and I'm so proud of you."

"Why are you proud of me? I've coward away from my dad my whole life and wasn't ever strong enough to stand up for myself." I looked down at the ground and play with my fingers. 

I felt Blake's warm hand gently grip my chin and pull up so I was looking him right in the eyes. I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the amount of intensity in them.

"You are the strongest person I know Hazel. I'm proud of you because you are standing up for your self even if it did take this long. You always end up doing the right thing no matter how hard it is to do."  A single tear left my eye and he quickly reaches a hand up and wiped it away with his thumb. He leaned down and places a small kiss on top of my head. 

The moment was quickly ruined though by a shouting Liam. I love him to death but he can have the worst timing I swear. 

"Whats up guys?" He asks with a big smile but it slowly fades when he sees the look on our faces. "Bad timing?" He questions pointing to the flowers. 

"Bro we've talked about this." Blake sighs and I cant help but laugh. 

"The fact that you guys have had to talk about this is actually so funny." I giggle. 

"I didn't think you guys were gonna be having a moment in a crowded hallway at a public high school. My bad." Liam fires back with out a moment of hesitation. Blake was about to say something but my phone started ringing cutting him off. 

"Guys shut up its the police department" They did exactly what asked and i mouth a thank you as I answer the phone.

"Hello?" I ask into the phone even though I know who it is .

"Hazel, this is Rob from the police department. We have some unfortunate news for you." he says slowly. WHY ME!

"Whats is it? Did something happen?" 

"Your father and Tammy have left the state. We need you to come down to the station to answer some questions, tell us about where they could have gone." 

I felt like I had just been punched in the gut. How could this happen! How could I be so stupid! Of course they would find a way out of it, they always manage to find a way out of things. Now I remember why I never pressed charges in the first place.

"Hazel, are you still there?" I hear the deep voice ask on the other end of the line.

"Yeah sorry. I'll be there right away." I sigh. Of course this happens to me.

"Is everything okay?" Liam asks.

I can feel the tears building up in my eyes. I was so close to feeling free. So so close and this is what happens. They run. 

"They're gone." I mumble still in shock.

"Hazel who's gone?" Blake questions me in confusion.

"Dad and Tammy. They disappeared, they think they left the state, maybe even the country."

"Hazel..." I hear Liam start to say but I tune it out. I just need to be alone.

"I have to go" I whisper turning around. 

I could faintly hear them calling my name but I kept walking. I walked right out the same metal doors I had came through just moments before, feeling on top of the world. It always amazes me how things can change in the blink of an eye and you have no idea its coming until it hits you. Sometimes its good, but sometimes its even worse then you could have ever imagined.

--------------------------------------

sorry for the short chapter, I just wanted to give you a little filler. I'll have a longer chapter out soon. At least I hope. Thanks for reading!