THREE

Chapter Three: A Common Thing

❝You're mad, bonkers, off your head

You're mad, bonkers, off your head. But I'll tell you a secret, all the best people are.

9/1/75

♦♦♦

LURAPITHIA WAS perfectly content as she watched the world fall behind the moving carriage. She wished she could feel the wind on her face. She saw the lake, in all its glory, the moonlight dancing on its surface. She saw trees bigger around than the hopes of a child. She saw... For the love of Merlin. She slowly turned her head of fire, only to be met with a pair of glassy grey eyes.

"Salutations." The scrawny boy stated cheekily.

The angry girl took a deep breath. How on Earth did I not notice this white haired boy on my way in? Was I that blinded by my own thoughts?

"Hello." Lurapithia said evenly, trying to seem as though she had known he was there.

"I'm Xenophilius Lovegood. What's your name?" He inquired.

Of course that's the first thing he asks.

"I'm... Lurapithia Dahlis." She said, pushing out her name as plainly as possible.

This... Xenophilius was annoying Lurapithia to no extent, even though he was simply sitting in his seat. Even though she felt as though she had a connection of sort, considering his name was Xenophilius.

"That's a nice name." Xenophilius sighed, not seeming to be focusing his vision on anything.

Lurapithia stared at the odd boy sitting across from her. He seemed not to have a care in the world. He seemed so content to just sit and stair out a window.

"Excuse me?" Lurapithia faltered.

"Lurapithia. It rolls right off your tongue. It's a nice name." Xenophilius smiled.

This silk-headed boy is absolutely off his rocker.

"You're the only person who has ever said that to me, Xenophilius. Honestly, I think my name is dreadful. It's long and hard to pronounce and-"

"That's a common thing, really. Hating your own name."

"What?" Lurapithia questioned, tilting her head slightly.

"I'm not kidding. Even if your name is simple, like Jill or John. Someone with a common name could think their name is too common, that too many other people have it, and that it makes them completely unoriginal. People who have uncommon names don't like their names because it makes them different.
"And most people don't like to be different if it means that people will see them a different way. People with common names want their name to be uncommon, and people with uncommon names wish their names were common. It's like when girls with straight hair want curly hair, and girls with curly hair want straight hair.
"People always seem to waste their time wishing to have what they don't have, instead of cherishing and enjoying what is theirs. Your name is Lurapithia. My name is Xenophilius. Those are both nice names."