TWENTY-ONE

Chapter Twenty-One: Discussion After Discussion

❝If everyone you thought you knew deserts your fight, I'll go with you

If everyone you thought you knew deserts your fight, I'll go with you.❞

♦♦♦

AT THAT MOMENT, the office seemed too big. Lurapithia had always thought of Dumbledore as a humble man, no matter how well-known (and most likely rich) he was. He dressed simply, he spoke with such wisdom, he never seemed to look down on anyone. He blended in in every way he knew he could. He was just the right balance of almighty and ordinary.

But this office showed that he had extravagant taste in trinkets. Everywhere she looked, she saw something new. Nearly every wall there was covered in shelves with thick, dusty books. The ones that weren't were covered in old portraits, the people in them snoozing quietly. Some tables were scattered here and there, each one had handfuls of odd objects; from Omnioculars to laughing goblets.

The office made her feel somewhat uneasy. She didn't know exactly why, but every odd noise that filled her ears made goosebumps form on her arms.

She was dreading talking to Dumbledore. She knew how things would go. He'd ask how she was feeling, then how she liked her new roommates, then he'd talk about her parents and send her into a downward mental spiral.

"Professor Dumbledore?" Lurapithia called, looking around once more.

No answer came, but through her whirling confusion, she came to stand by his desk. She wondered if something was truly wrong. Perhaps time itself had stopped? Maybe Dumbledore was in another room, bleeding out and too weak to call out for help. Perhaps her mind was attacking itself and making her panic. She couldn't tell anymore.

Lu's thoughts where silenced by a disgustingly human-like screech. She whirled around, the hairs on her neck raising and her eyes widening. But the only thing she saw was a bird. A brilliant one at that. The thing was perched on the edge of a shelf in the far corner of the room. It seemed to stick out from all of the browns and muted golds of the room, and Lu wondered how she had missed such a brilliant detail.

The creature had a rather crooked beak and thick, scarlet feathers which were neatly groomed and almost glowing. The bird let out one more bone-chilling screech, and as if it had summoned him, Dumbledore emerged from the doorway behind the bird.

"Do not mind Fawkes, he probably just enjoys looking at your hair." He said whistfully. At that moment, he sounded a little like Xeno.

His sparkling eyes weren't as bright as people had described them to be. It wasn't that they were actually sparkling, it was because they were so bright that they were almost glowing. It was scary and soothing at the same time when Lurapithia and Dumbledore's eyes met. He smiled without a hint of pity, which made Lu feel better about her situation. But the anxious feeling eating away at her insides was still present.