FIVE

Chapter Five: Favorite

❝I am the one thing in life I can control

I am the one thing in life I can control.

♦♦♦

THE REST OF THE CLASSES went the same, half of the time for "OWL talk", and half for work. Most of the work assigned, Lurapithia had finished by the end of the day. She had sat in the library with Remus for the remainder of Study Hall and lunch, not bothering to get food.

Remus.

Lurapithia couldn't stop thinking about him. He acted.... as if she actually mattered. He was the first, besides Xenophilius and her Aunt Elda, to ever do that. She had overheard him talking to Potter and Black, telling them to stop teasing her, telling them that she was nice and smart.... why?

She wasn't nice, she'd never done anything nice for him. And she knew she wasn't smart. She just had a good memory. She also heard the..... Other part of the conversation.

Could he really.... No. He couldn't.

Lurapithia, bitter feelings and all, made her way through the grass and down to the shore of the Black Lake. She liked the lake, because it was so murky that she couldn't see the imperfections below its surface. It reminded Lurapithia of herself. She found the cleanest boulder she could see on the shore, and plopped her small frame down.
It was a small boulder, not nearly big enough to sit on, but she was a small girl.

The rock was completely pressed against the trunk of a maple tree. One of the trees dried leaves would fall every other second, making the grass below seem messy. At this point, Lurapithia wished that every period was Free Period, that way she could just come down to the lake and ponder life's mysteries. One of those mysteries being a mousy brown haired boy, whom she couldn't understand for the life of her.
The sky was a covered in rippled clouds, as if a fat man had jumped into a pool, and the disturbances in the water were the strips of moisture in the atmosphere.

The crisp Autumn wind blew the whispy strands of hair near her face every which way, making Lurapithia huff in frustration. She began to press down the strands with her hands, not aware that she was looking like a fool in front of Remus, who was standing right behind her. For plenty of time, Remus just stood there awkwardly, not sure if he should make his presence known.
The wind eventually died down, Lurapithia stopped trying to tame her whispies, and Remus saw his chance to approach his crush.

He stood behind her and awkwardly cleared his throat. Lurapithia's mind jumped and she whirled around, nearly smacking Remus in the face with her outstretched hand. Remus, of course, was surprised by this action, and fell backwards onto the semi-damp grass.

Both of the mortified teenagers blushed a deep maroon, Lurapithia mumbling apologies and getting off her rock to help Remus up. Remus gladly took her outstretched hand, hers feeling tiny in his larger one. The petite girl managed to pull the 6'3 giant onto his feet. They quickly let go of each other's hands, then took a step apart.