ELEVEN

Chapter Eleven: The Coleopteras

❝The difference between 'boyfriend' and 'boy friend' is the little space

The difference between 'boyfriend' and 'boy friend' is the little space. We call that the Friend Zone.

12/22/75

♦♦♦

HOPE AND LURAPITHIA'S plans had been cancelled, Lurapithia was not happy. It was as simple as that. The snow had come at night, the wind smacking against the windows like a whip. It had piled up against the door, and the small pond outside the kitchen window had froze clear to it's core. The temperature had gone below zero, and Remus and Lu were forbidden to go outside due to Mrs. Lupin fearing for their fingers.

Lu and Remus, bored out of their minds, sat on his bed. They had began to talk, but subjects to discuss had began to disappear as the clock ticked further and further. In fact, the ticking of the clock was one of the only things keeping Lu sane.

Besides the sounds Mrs. Lupin was making downstairs. She was furiously scrubbing her casserole pans, complaining loudly that there were pieces on the side that simply wouldn't come off. Eventually, Mr. Lupin came home from work and insisted on using magic to get rid of the gunk.

"Lurapithia?"

"Yes?"

"Would you like to continue Les Misérables?"

"Sure."

"I can read this time."

"Alright."

The gargantuan book had been sitting on his bed, waiting to be opened since the last time they dove in.

"What were these Friends of the ABC? A society which had for its object apparently the education of children, in reality the elevation of man.

"They declared themselves the Friends of the ABC,--the Abaisse,-- the debased,--that is to say, the people. They wished to elevate the people. It was a pun which we should do wrong to smile at. Puns are sometimes serious factors in politics; witness the Castratus ad castra, which made a general of the army of Narses; witness: Barbari et Barberini; witness: Tu es Petrus et super hanc petram, etc., etc.

"The Friends of the ABC were not numerous, it was a secret society in the state of embryo, we might almost say a coterie, if coteries ended in heroes.
"They assembled in Paris in two localities, near the fish-market, in a wine-shop called Corinthe, of which more will be heard later on, and near the Pantheon in a little cafe in the Rue Saint-Michel called the Cafe Musain, now torn down; the first of these meeting-places was close to the workingman, the second to the students.
"The greater part of the Friends of the ABC were students, who were on cordial terms with the working classes. Here are the names of the principal ones. They belong, in a certain measure, to history: Enjolras, Combeferre, Jean Prouvaire, Feuilly, Courfeyrac, Bahorel, Lesgle or Laigle, Joly, Grantaire."