FIFTEEN

Chapter Fifteen: Christmas

❝Sometimes it is not the butterflies that tell you you're in love, it's the pain

Sometimes it is not the butterflies that tell you you're in love, it's the pain.

12/25/75

♦♦♦

LURAPITHIA WOKE UP from a comfortable sleep with a warm scarf around her neck. Under the soft covers, her legs had curled around the ends of the fabric. The scarf smelled so familiar to Lu, yet so foreign. Like a distant echo, a breath in the wind. To know that her aunt was thinking of her left a feeling in her chest. Like the feeling of wandering into a new place. The feeling of rosy cheeks and amiable flower petals brushing fingertips. The first state of peace after a brutal storm of emotions.

She didn't care that it was Christmas. She hadn't had a single holiday that meant anything before. Never once had she celebrated anything. Not even at Hogwarts. Halloween feasts had always seemed dull and boring, the same every year. Christmas feasts? What was the point of a feast if you were going to eat alone?

When Lu opened her eyes, the air around her seemed tinted with an amber glow. It felt more like home than her actual house. She sat up in bed to look around the room. Nothing had changed, yet why did it feel so different? Why did she suddenly feel so enlightened? Lu rubbed her eyes, wiping away the sleep with her freckled hands. She swallowed the bitter taste of nothing and slipped out of the covers, her socks padding across the carpet as she tiptoed quietly to the closet on the far side of the room.

There was no choice in what she was wearing. Mrs. Lupin had said formal wear, and the only thing remotely formal that she owned was a black skirt. Her plain long sleeve would have to do. As soon as she finished pulling her shirt over her head, Lurapithia heard a knock on the door. She cautiously stepped towards the door, fearing that something might disturb the peace. But when she opened it, she was greeted by the tired smile of Remus Lupin.

"Happy Christmas, Lu." Remus murmured, voice wraspy with sleep and a wide grin spread across his face.

"Happy Christmas." Lurapithia echoed, a faint smile tugging at her lips.

Remus sighed, the tiredness in his face evident. He leaned on the door frame, blinking and running a hand over his face.

"You look nice." Remus muttered, his face heating up. Though he did mean it, he always came off as sardonic.

Lurapithia giggled, her eyes roaming over Remus' pajama pants and 'The Beatles' T-shirt. He obviously had just woken up. His hair was tousled and his eyes were drooping.

"You look nice as well." She said, causing Remus chuckle.

"Only my finest attire for a holiday such as this." Remus joked, "We're all downstairs ready to open gifts, Mum sent me to get you."