THIRTEEN

Chapter Thirteen: Quarantine

❝It is on December nights, with the thermometer at zero, when we most think of the Sun

It is on December nights, with the thermometer at zero, when we most think of the Sun.

12/23/75

♦♦♦

Fill your lungs, Lurapithia.
This should be easy for you.
Just breathe in, and breathe out.

AT THAT POINT, Lu forgot what it was like to breathe properly. Raspy whispers came out instead. Little mumbles reminding her of what had gone wrong and what was going to happen. She felt the cold sheets below her as she sat on her bed, grabbing each side of her face tightly.

Her lungs seemed to fill with needles, each one poking the interior and deflating her lungs like balloons. She felt her own fingernails digging into her face, her indexes and middles cutting straight through. But the blood felt nice, the warmth dripping down her skin contrasted with the brittle cold of her body.

"Lurapithia? Can I come in please?"

Remus cracked his knuckles on the door for the fifth time in an hour. A sob escaped her lips and she squeezed her eyes shut. She wanted to scream at him to leave, but no sound came out. She wanted to go home, but she didn't have one. Her house was not her home, it was a prison.

"Lurapithia, you need to unlock the door. Please?"

"I don't d-deserve to see you." She sputtered, her breath becoming more erratic as she spoke.

"Now, that's just nonsense. Let me in, Lu."

Your problems can't be fixed behind a door.

Lurapithia pulled herself off the bed, the weight of the world clawing at her legs, begging her to scream once more.
She picked a handkerchief off the dresser and unlocked the knob with it wrapped around her fingers. She watched as the handle slowly turned, then watched as light poured through the growing crack.
Remus took his time getting through the door. Once saw Lurapithia's tear stained cheeks, his heart dropped into his shoes.

"Oh, Lu..."

Lurapithia didn't look up. She already knew what emotion his face portrayed.

Pity.

"Won't you tell me what happened?"

She knew there was no point in telling Remus, he couldn't do anything, and it would only worry him. It was nearly Christmas. She had set it apon herself not to ruin anything else, Christmas included.

"Lu, you must let me clean you up."

"You couldn't possibly-"

"I'll wear gloves."