FOURTEEN

Chapter Fourteen: And Unexpected Gift

❝Ironically enough, money cannot buy class

Ironically enough, money cannot buy class.

12/24/75

♦♦♦

THE LUPIN HOUSEHOLD, for once, was absolutely chaotic. The Lupin's didn't know why anyone bothered to decorate before anyone was going to see it. So they often stressed themselves farther by waiting last minute to put decorations up. Mrs. Lupin was shouting orders to everyone within range, furiously stabbing a bin of peeled potatoes with a masher. Mr. Lupin was nailing Holiday signs and Christmas lights to the walls, nearly hammering his fingers once every five seconds. Remus was hurriedly trying to untangle lights as Mr. Lupin practically screamed at him to go faster.

This, was Christmas Eve at the Lupins. Lurapithia had been told that relatives would be coming over at 6:30, and that the Lupins never bothered to decorate the house until people where there. Whilst everyone else was clamouring to get things done, Lurapithia was charged with a simple task: sweep the floors.
Sweeping seemed like an easy task for anyone with two hands and an urge to clean; Lurapithia had both. But in her mind, her job was not done until every bit of dust was gone, and she was paranoid, as always.

You've checked the floor seven times now, There's no need to do it again. Maybe just once more...

"Lurapithia, the floor is spotless, you really don't need to check again. Can you make the gravy? I'll walk you through it."

Lu's heart sped up as she walked away from an imperfection, a stupid flaw that was her fault. She flicked her forehead twice, then plucked the packet of instant gravy off the kitchen counter, grabbing a small pot from the cupboard below.

"Take a splash of water then throw in the instant gravy." Instructed Mrs. Lupin, stirring the potatoes.

Lu's hand hovered over the handle of the sink, she pursed her lips and closed her eyes for a brief moment.

"How much water?" Lurapithia inquired.

"Just a little."

"A measurement please, Mrs. Lupin."

"We don't have time for measurements, Lurapithia, you just need to use your guts."

Lurapithia turned the faucet and watched as water oozed through the powder, causing the pasty gravy to become a darker brown. She flicked her forehead twice again.

Hope ganced over her shoulder, smiling with satisfaction, but looking rather constipated.

"Just enough!" She praised, setting the potatoes on the stove to cook.