Chapter 7

Chat went to retrieve the water upon the deck. All the men had already turned in for the night. All she could hear was the sound of her own tears, it was too late. He won't be back on time. Then Marinette looked at the moon as it reached its peak. Her throat was so dry all she can do was a croak. The door nob started to turn. Then, suddenly -

There was a mix of her falling to the floor by a high-pitched whooshing sound. It took Chat little to notice as he entered. Then, a streak of shimmer flashed past his line of vision, almost as if it was a shooting star. Chat looked behind him to see it was and notice there was nothing. He saw the mermaid on the floor. Chat started to panic as he drops down the bucket of water. Another shooting star came in front of his eye from the door. The windows in the room open from a gust of wind. Chat looked around to see the moving rain of shooting stars move around him toward the mermaid. He set his hand onto the handle of the sword.

The lights were coming down in shimmering streaks of....flashing in little crackles of light as they hit the floor surrounding Marinette. His eyes bulged, with him having a grip tightening on the handle.

All at once, he felt a shift underneath him as it went toward Marinette. His bewilderment turned to confusion as he noticed the mermaid's body was beginning to rise. Reflexively, He shrank away from the light, clutching a hand to the doorway as the mermaid's body rose into the air, amidst the sparkling rain now pounding onto the wooden floor of his ship in a fury.

A wind came through the window had now begun to pick up, blowing his blonde hair back as the shimmering rain flew down around him toward her. His eyes grew even wider than before as he stared in amazement. What was happening? he thought. He knew of the moon power on mermaids but he only concluded when it was when mermaids were in the water. Was this more magic, a higher deity? He didn't know. All he could do was watch as the mermaid rose higher, a blanket that was on his bed flew onto Marinette. The blanket was winding up first like a snaky tendril towards the heavens, taking her body with it. Remnants of the light-rain lay upon the wood around him like white-hot coals; his assumption of hot coals was proven as for its mixture with the wet rain had now created a pile of steam that began to mingle with the mermaid's rapidly ascending body. As she climbed, the mermaid's body rotated, until the blanket wrapped around her form completely, trapping her in a bizarre cocoon.

By now, the terror dissolved into curiosity for Chat as the mermaid seemed to squirm against her confines. A burst of light emanated from within the blanket, the next second, her tail burst free. He squinted at the sight. The tail was disappearing! The skin took its place, and soon a foot - a human foot - could be identified. Another flash of light burst into existence, beams of it radiating from each of the mermaids' new toes. He backed away a step, pushing his still-windswept hair back from out of his face with a free palm.

The mermaid was twirling about faster now, still imprisoned within her blanket. A gust of wind now swept across her face, one final burst of yellow light.

He stared as thunderstruck as the lights pounded down with a renewed vigor; his hair stayed permanently flapping with the now hurricane-like winds. He shrank away as the mermaid, now human began to make a slow descent back to Earth, amidst the still rising steam. she fell back gingerly, the blanket now acting as a sort of cradle. It was as if an invisible hand was breaking her fall, or invisible strings holding her up like a marionette. Her body met the wooden floor at last.

He cautiously took a few steps forward, reaching out a hand to touch the creature. Suddenly, the steam that had hissed around disappeared, sucking into the mermaid as she seemed to inhale the substance, which appeared to give her the first breath of new life. He sprang back, startled, throwing out the sword.

Indeed, the mermaid was alive, for she slowly rose to her feet, with the blanket in hand. She stared at her one hand, then the other, before turning around to face him at long last.

"What have you done to me," the stranger gasped. "look at me." She stepped forward at her first step and took his hand as she fell to the ground.

He stared at this... girl, and curiosity filled his eyes again. He frowned skeptically. He knew he messed up. This was not how it was supposed to work out.

The bucket had spilled during the event. Marinette reached her hand out to touch it, the water is cold, against this woman's body Marinette was in, cold as it never was to her before. She can't see her reflection in this water, for it is not still, as the pool in the caves of her home was; it is wild and untamed. The captain looks at her in eyes she has never seen. She considers this body to be safe, in this woman's body, safe as she can not be in the mermaid's, but she does not feel safe.

Short but hey I'm back kinda... I enter school in 3 weeks so I have to get ready for school. this chapter was really hard to write so I love it for being this short!!! who can't wait for the next chapter!!