[Chapter 55]

Chapter 55

THREE DAYS LATER: December 10, 2009

My eyes stare at the same crack in the ceiling that I’ve been staring at for the past three days. After finding the note I broke down in my room. Everything was going crazy. I had cried so much to the point that I couldn’t eat and I made myself throw up.

Lying to mom had been easy. Neither she nor Robert knew about the pictures. I had cleaned everything up and stuffed everything in my room. Mom never went through anything in my room so that was taken care of. I wasn’t going to tell anyone, the less people knew, the less people that got hurt. I refused to let anyone else get hurt because of me.

Since I had lied to mom about being sick with a stomach virus; neither Kimi nor Annie was allowed over. I could tell from the many texts I received from Kimi that she was extremely worried about me. I couldn’t eat and I hadn’t gotten out of bed since Monday night. Mom had been busy in town most of the week and Robert had been stuck at home with me. Mom told him that he didn’t need to stay with me during the day because Ben wasn’t likely to show his face if someone could see him.

Monday night after I had cried to myself in my room I had come back down the stairs. Since I had been so into the mail I hadn’t seen the note from Robert telling me they were gone all day. I couldn’t believe the stuff I was putting up with from him.

I could feel my stomach growling but I refused to move even in the slightest. My eyes were trained on that crack in the ceiling that I had only noticed Tuesday morning as I was getting up for school.

It was then that I was able to lie to mom about being sick. She didn’t even second guess anything I said. I was scared about missing school but I knew I could catch up pretty quickly. Plus I think the teachers were going easy on me since the kidnapping anyway. I could tell it in their sympathetic stares and the way they directed questions toward me. If I didn’t answer within a few seconds they called on another student but my grade was never affected.

I heard a beeping coming from the bedside table and I blinked. I knew that had to be Kimi texting me. It had to be around lunch time by now. Kimi had texted me every day during lunch time to check on me. Then again after school at home she would call. Mom would be home and if I was still sick then she would make me get off the phone. I would only get to talk on the phone for ten to twenty minutes when my mom found me on the phone.

My eyes closed against my will and I sighed. My eyes were aching from staring at that god-for-saken crack in the ceiling. Against my will my body moved to a sitting up position against the headboard. I looked over toward the bedside table reaching out for the phone on the table. I flipped it open and looked at the screen checking the text she had sent me.

Hey gurl! How u holding up? Are u still sick? Annie called me checkin on u.

I sighed and closed the top back. I could hear footsteps on the carpeted hallway floor and the stairs. I wanted to smile but I just couldn’t find it in me to forgive the person that was coming up the hall. I pushed my phone under the pillows and moved back into the same position I had been in for days.

My eyes found the crack just as the knock came to my bedroom door. I concentrated on the crack as a sigh came from the other side of the door and it was pushed open just like the past few days.

“Laura, it is Robert. I have your lunch for today. I thought chicken noodle soup would be okay this time.”

Even though my eyes were concentrated on the crack I couldn’t help glancing out the corner of my eyes when he wasn’t looking. He was dressed in regular clothing carrying a silver tray around the room to my bedside table that sat next to me. The same on that had held my cellphone before I moved it under my pillow.