[Chapter 63]

Chapter 63

Later that night

I stayed with Annie until way after the sun had gone down. We had even been to the 9/11 memorial. I ran my fingers across the edge of the building. I wasn’t afraid of heights since I was standing at the top of Empire State building. It was Annie’s idea to save this place for last and see it at night. It was a great idea since this way you could see the city at night.

New York was even more beautiful at night. There were even more people coming out of places and music filled the night. Annie was looking through the huge binoculars on the side that you can use to see far off things. I don’t get why she’s using it at night because she probably can’t see anything anyway.

“Have heard from your mom?” she asks her eyes still in the binoculars.

I shake my before remembering she can’t see me, “Nope. I told Robert if anything happened I’d call mom. I was pissed at him. He wanted to talk in the car about everything. He wasn’t ready for that conversation no matter how much he thought he was. I told flat out what he’s been telling me but I remarked about me being gone soon. I didn’t really mention graduation but he’s got to think about that.”

I hear her sigh before she moves away from the binoculars. She gives me a sad smile, “Are you hungry?”

She can always tell when I don’t want to talk about it. My stomach growls and I realize I hadn’t had anything to eat since the plane and that had been nothing but a small bag of Fritos.

I nod at her, “Yes, I’m starving.”

She chuckles, “Me too. How about we go back to my hotel and eat something from room service. My friends are paying for the room service and hotel room anyway. Neither one of us has much cash on us and plus New York is really expensive. Afterward I’ll make sure you get back to the apartment, alright.”

I nod, “Sounds great.”

She grins intertwining our arms together walking toward the elevator. She hit the button and then the doors open since we are the only ones up here at this time. We both step inside Annie pressing the button for the lobby.

“You don’t mind walking do you? I mean it’s not that far from my hotel. I think a cab would cost more than I have on me.”

I shake my head, “I don’t mind. I’ll get to see the city some more.”

She smiles, “Yeah, you will.”

The elevator opens to the lobby and we walk out. Annie chuckles at some of the people standing around the lobby. Most of the people are dressed up in overly priced clothing waiting on other people. Annie pushes the door open for both of us and a gush of cold wind hits the both of us. I shiver wishing I had bundled up like Annie. It wasn’t this cold earlier in the day. Annie pulls my arm to the left signaling that’s the way we have to go.

“I sure hope that Angel or Scott is in their room. I just hope we don’t catch them at a bad time.”

She shivers at an image of Scott and Angel that she must have seen.

“Done it before have you Annie?”

She glares at my face, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

I laugh looking around. Annie swerves us out of the way of people since New Yorkers have been mostly rude all day. I feel bad for Annie since my eyes are looking around everywhere else instead of in front of me.

The buildings are so big, nothing like at home. Suddenly Annie brings me to a stop causing me to look down. We are standing at a cross walk waiting on the light to let us walk across. Annie sighs, “We just have to walk past a couple more buildings and then we’ll be there.”