[Chapter 58]

Chapter 58

December 22, 2009

Grandma's house is even worse for Christmas. Karen and the kids are over but Jack isn't. Rachel is helping with her siblings but I can tell it's difficult. Mom is even helping Karen and Momaw with the food.

Momaw tries to cook everything for her annual Christmas party. I can't wait for the party. I'm sitting in the living room with Rachel and the kids. Daphne's trying to show me things she made from her last day at school before the break.

“Cousiy you won't believe what I did at school!!” says Daphne smiling at me.

I smile at her as she gives me this card. The front has the face of Santa Clause but it looks like her class used cotton balls to make his beard more alive looking. The front says HAPPY HOLIDAYS! in red and green writing.

“Open it!”

Rachel grabs her hand giggling, “Cousin Laura is just checking out the artwork sis.”

I smile and chuckle opening the card and smile at what I see. She has drawn grandma's house with a bunch people around it and the top says MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I smile and look down at her, “This is so pretty Daphne. I can't believe you made this. I hope momma Karen puts this on the fridge at home.”

She grins but Rachel cuts her off before she can speak, “It was already on the fridge but she bugged mom and dad to bring it. She wanted you and Momaw to see it.”

I nodded and gave it back to Daphne. She grinned hugging me before running off to the kitchen yelling out, “Momaw, you have to see what I did at school!”

I heard laughter from the kitchen as she went in there. Phil was a different story. He was laying on the couch his entire attention on the annual Christmas specials on TV. He loved the Rudolph one which was the one playing.

Samuel was somewhere in the house or maybe outside. I could tell something was wrong with all of them but I wasn't going to barge in on that front. Rachel didn't seem quite as happy like every other year.

“Rachel?”

She was running her fingers through Phil's hair while he lied on the couch. She turned her head to let me know I had her attention.

“Is something wrong? I mean ever since all of you came over Monday there's been this strange feeling around all of you. I was just wondering what it was.”

She sighed moving her hand from Phil's hair, “I don't know. It might be the fact that my real father showed a few days after Thanksgiving. He somehow caught wind that I knew about him and just showed up. I guess Dad, Jack, is upset that he's in my life or something. Mom and he haven't been getting along since he showed up. I met him and spent a few hours with him at the house. I didn't feel comfortable being out of the house with him so we stayed at home. I don't want to have anything to do with him. He found out about your mother being rich and is only trying to get money out of us. He claims he wants to spend time with me but he's only trying to wriggle his way back into my mom's life to your mother.

Jack doesn't feel comfortable around Aunt Molly. He's tempted to say something to her about it. See if she was the one that told him or something. Sam's being antisocial because dad refuses to come until Christmas Eve. Sam is on his phone texting his friends.”

I nodded my head while biting the inside of my bottom lip. Everything always comes back to my mother. I should have known. Suddenly we heard commotion from the kitchen.

“Damn, we are out of eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and a lot of other things. Can someone go get some of the supplies?”

I sighed listening to Aunt Karen in the kitchen. I stood to my feet giving Rachel a smile and walked toward the kitchen. Mom and Robert were sitting at the table fixing some of the food. Mom was mixing a bowl with an apron around her waist and chocolate all over her fingers.