[Chapter 57]

Chapter 57

December 18, 2009

The last week of school before Christmas break flew by. With all of the work and tests that had to be taken it just flew by. Before I knew it, I was walking out of the school on Friday afternoon and not looking back. Kimi was at my side talking on the phone to Annie. It seemed like everyone was going somewhere for the holidays.

Sine Kimi had went with her father for Thanksgiving she was going with her mom for Christmas and New Year’s. I figured they were only going a couple towns over to Kimi's grandmothers. That woman had a heart a heart of gold underneath.

Annie was going with her mother and grandmother to the mountains for Christmas. She would be going to the city for New Years with a bunch of friends. I envied her to an extent. My mom would never let me go to the city with friends, she wouldn't trust them. With Ben still on the loose I didn't really blame her for how careful she was of me.

Suddenly my phone started ringing. I chuckled and pulled it from my pocket. An unknown number greeted me and for a second my heart dropped. What if it's Ben? How would he get my number?

I sighed and continued walking to my jeep with Kimi following me. She was so into her conversation with Annie she hadn't noticed my sudden depressed mood. I tossed my backpack in the jeep and opened my phone.

“Hello? Who is this?”

“Is this Laura?”

The male voice sounded familiar but not in the way I thought.

“Yeah this is her. Who is this?”

“Well I don't know if you remember me or not from the plane. It's Gabe, Gabe Collins.”

Suddenly the image of the boy that had helped my nerves on the plane came to my mind. A smile came to my lips.

“Oh I remember you. What happened to you calling me back? Keeping in touch?”

I heard him chuckle, “Well I'm calling now, right? I was just bored and everything, wanted someone to talk to. SO what are you doing?”

Kimi started eying me on the phone and I turned my head away from her. She was still talking to Annie anyway.

“Oh nothing really, I just got out of school. I don't think I told you I was senior in high school.”

“Oh that's not a big deal. I'm a freshman in college right now of course.”

“Yeah well where are you going for the holidays?”

He sighed, “Well my dad wants me to spend Christmas with him and for New Year's he's going to the city for a while and I'm tagging along. My mom was busy this year anyway with the kids so I couldn't go there. I called you because I knew we wouldn't have another chance meeting. What about the boyfriend?”

My bottom lip pulled back and I frowned, “It's complicated.”

I heard him chuckled, “Un-complicate it.”

I sighed, “Yeah well it's not as easy as it sounds.”

I heard him chuckle again so I questioned him, “What about you? You have to have some kind of girl in your life.”

It was quiet until I heard him mumble, “All the girls in my life are taken. At least the ones I like are.”

My heart clenched at this revelation. I felt really bad for him. Why did Robert have to come into my life? Why did he have to take my heart before I met this great guy? Then my heart was telling me that if Robert hadn't come into my life I probably would have never met Gabe in the first place.