Chapter Fifty-Two: Say Goodbye..Then Hello

"Allie, sweetheart, are you awake?" A feminine voice said, and I felt a soft hand run from my elbow to my wrist before a sharp pinch. I wanted to wince, to pull away, to call out for Sam, but all I could do was lay there and stare into darkness "Guess not".

Beeps filled the room, filled my head, and suddenly I realized I wasn't breathing on my own. What the heck? "That was just something to help you" The woman said, adjusting the blanket that was across my chest. It was warm and scratchy on my neck, irritating me. "Ah, Ms.Ruby, how are you?" The voice said, and my mind started spinning.

"Not good, Lucy, my grand baby is in a coma" Ruby said and I recognized the other voice now as Lucy, Sam's Mom. A felt the bed dip and then soft hands moved onto my face that smelt like coffee and cinnamon. Ruby's new favorite lotion.

There was a brief pause in conversation as Ruby pulled my hair to the side and then began braiding it. "How are her vitals?" Ruby asked, her fingers weaving my hair delicately. "Good. The bruise on her cheek is from where David kissed her, and we suspect that's the reason she's in the coma. " Lucy said, and I heard the clicking of her heals.

I wanted to open my eyes and see what kind of bruise was on my cheek, to open my mouth and speak, but it seemed like my entire body was frozen. I was in a coma. "Has Sam said anything about how he got in? I was told by that weird boy Carter that we had patrols around the clock" Ruby said.

Where was Sam? "Sam hasn't been home since he came to visit Allie in her bedroom. Andrew is out looking for him" Lucy said, and I felt Ruby move off the bed. "There's also one more thing you should know..." Lucy said quietly, and I heard Ruby take a deep breath, preparing for the worst.

"What?" Ruby asked, clutching my hand. "We ran all the test-just like you asked-and we've found something rather...exciting" Lucy said happily, and I could only imagine the smile that was plastered across her face.

"Allie's pregnant" Lucy said, clapping her hands. "What!?" Ruby screamed, as I felt my fingers start to tingle.

I coulden't be pregnant, Sam and i'd only had sex a handful of times, and we used condoms! Did we? I'm only 17, that's to young to get pregnant! "What?" Ruby gasped, her nails slightly digging into my hand. "How far along is she?" Ruby questioned and suddenly, I could open my eyes.

Both women stared at me in disbelief, Ruby's lips twitching in anger, Lucy's in a big smile. "Allie, you're awake" Lucy said happily, her hair pulled up in a librarian bun. "Can I get some water?" I asked, my voice hoarse and scratchy. It wasn't my own.

"Yes! Of course!" Lucy said, walking to the white door and opening it. "Nurse, water for Mrs.Parker, please" Lucy called, turning back and walking across the white room toward me. "Where's Sam?" I asked, feeling dizzy and sick.

"Sam is running some errands, he'll be back soon." Lucy lied, tucking a strand behind her ear as a thin red haired girl ran in, tripping over her feet. "H-hi Ms.Lucy, i-i'm sorry" She stuttered, staring at the ground. "It's no problem, Lumen. Can you get a glass for Mrs.Parker while I take Ruby into the hallway to sign the papers?" Lucy smiled, gesturing for Ruby to follow her.

Ruby stood, still scowling in confusion. Lumen carried the silver pitcher over, sitting in the spot Ruby abandoned. She took a clear glass of water and poured the water into it, adding a straw before handing it to my trembling hands.

How long was I out?

"Thank-you" I said, forcing myself to drink. It was cold, and ran down my throat into my empty stomach. "No problem, Luna" Lumen said, her eyes snapping to the ground. "I won't bite" I assured her with a light smile, gulping down my water.