n e i g h b o r s #6

"I can't believe this. This is ridiculous. How could it have been him the hold time? I should've known. And, the things he said about his annoying neighbor were all about me. I should've never replied to his first email. I usually ignore the hater emails. Why did I reply to his?"

Emily sighed as she finished her rant. She was so angry at herself for allowing herself to get so involved. She should have known better than to trust the words coming from an email. Anyone can hide behind a computer screen. Her neighbor fooled her, and she did not enjoy being fooled. Plus, he was the one had told her she wasn't good for anything, and that made this situation even worse.

"You need to calm down and get your act together, Em. You just passed up a great opportunity to grow your blog even more. I don't understand why you're so upset for the things he said about his neighbor. Didn't you say things about him too?" Emily's manager, editor, and best friend, Olivia said to her.

"Olivia, you of all people should understand why I walked out of there. You know the things he's said to me in the past. He was the one that told me I wasn't good for anything. I can't even consider working with him if he really thinks that to the point where he tells it to me to my face."

Olivia shook her head. "It was because of what he said that you started your blog. And, didn't he tell you that a couple of years ago? What's the use of holding on to that? Em, if you keep holding onto the past, you're going to keep missing the things that are happening now. Don't let the past keep you from something new."

Emily sighed as they arrived at her house. Olivia stopped the car and turned in her seat to face Emily. Olivia knew Emily well enough to know that she was going to protest at what she said. She had done it ever since they became friends, and she was ready to respond to whatever ridiculous protests Emily had.

"I'm not missing out on anything. I'm helping people through my blog, and I'm going to have a little clothing line soon with a very successful designer in New York City. What exactly do you think I'm missing out on?"

Olivia sighed. "You just don't seem to get it, Emily. Holding grudges doesn't do any good for anyone. Do you actually really truly feel as happy as you sound about all of this, or are you just trying to convince yourself you are? This grudge you're holding against our neighbor is the only thing that's driving you nowadays. What happens when he actually turns about to be a great guy?"

Emily scoffed at the idea. If he could ever be a good guy, she would want to be the first one to know.

"Like that's even possible. And, I am happy. Maybe it's driving me to do what I do, but it's helped a lot. Hasn't it?"

Olivia shook her head. "From the emails you've showed me, he's a kind guy who cares. People can change, you know. And again, what happens when you finally realize how good of a guy he is? You're going to have no motivation to write anything for the people who read your blog. You need to get your priorities in order and see this situation without clouded eyes, Em. When you do that, you'll see I'm right."

Emily sighed and hurried to get out of the car. She didn't even bother to say goodbye. She hurried into her house and threw herself across her couch. She stared up at the ceiling. Deep down she knew she had been holding onto her grudge for too long. Now that Olivia had called her out, she finally began to see how cloudy her view had been.

She hated it when Olivia was so right.

//••••••••••//

Daniel gave his assistant an unbelieving look. He couldn't believe what she had just said to him.

"You can't be serious? You're telling me to do what? I'm sure I didn't hear you correctly."

His assistant and close friend rolled her eyes.. "You know exactly what I said. You just don't want to do it. You're being stubborn, and you're letting your pride get in the way of the opportunity of something great. Don't be stupid and let this girl get away."

"After everything, you're telling me I'm the one who has to fix this? I'm the one who's supposed to do something? Grace, I've done nothing wrong here. Plus, she's the one who's mad, so I don't think she would even listen to me."

Grace Thomas rolled her eyes again as she sat down across from her boss and friend. "Wake up, Daniel. This isn't about you. This is about Emily. She's shocked like you, but from what you've told me, I think she's mad at you for something you did in the past-- not for what happened today. Didn't you both talk about your annoying neighbors in some of your emails?"

"Um, yeah?"

"What did she say about you when she had no idea she was talking to her neighbor?"

Daniel couldn't remember, so he opened his email. He scrolled through his emails, searching for the exchange of neighbor stories. Once he found it, he read it and showed Grace. He couldn't believe he said something so awful.

Grace raised her eyebrow when she read the email. "You really said that?"

"I don't remember saying that, but I guess it was when she first moved in. I had noticed she hadn't done anything since moving in. I think I thought she was lazy because it looked like she was at home all the time. I guess it was a comment I made without realizing it."

Grace sighed. "When will you learn to bite your tongue? Daniel, this comment really hurt her, and it's been hurting her for a long time. Maybe she's in the wrong for holding this grudge against you for so long, but it's time for you to do what you should've done awhile ago."

"Apologize."

Grace nodded. "And how are you going to do that?"

"I don't know. She probably won't even agree to meet with me anywhere."

Grace thought for a moment before telling him, "I do. Leave it up to me."