Fourteen.

"Tell me something no one knows." I told Luke, taking a sip of the red wine he ordered with our meal. "Something you've never told anyone."

"Only if you tell me something." He folded his hands on the table and pressed his body forward. "I know you've got a million secrets."

"Million and one actually." I smirked, resting my chin in the palm of my hand. "Ok, I'll start." I laughed, shaking my head. "I cheated on JT."

"Wait, what?" His eyes widened and he nearly fell out of his chair. "When? What? Why haven't you ever told me? Who was it? Why doesn't JT know?"

"We had started dating like a few months before and I had never been with anyone before. I was super depressed and sad and I went to this camp. I met this guy and he was like super hot. I hadn't really processed that JT and I were exclusive but this guy was like super mysterious and dangerous and I was so intrigued. We ended up going to the woods in the middle of the night and we had sex. I never saw him again. I think he's in jail now."

"Britney Olsen, who the fuck are you?" He laughed, shaking his head. "Why didn't you ever tell him?"

"Because! What was I supposed to say, 'JT, I know we're together but I thought it would be fun to sleep with some random guy in the forest. Hope you don't mind.' He would have been pissed."

"It would have been great to see him squirm." He grinned, running his hand through his hair. "Ok, guess it's my turn?" He cleared his throats and I nodded, biting my lip. "I've never felt like this about anyone else."

"Like what?" I gulped, my heart falling to my stomach. I didn't need him to do this right now. It would complicate everything.

"Like my whole world was in your hands." He gulped too, his lips parting softly. "When I came home and you were gone, I couldn't breathe. My chest felt like it was closing up and my lungs were empty. Nothing mattered. I was lost and I didn't know what to do. I needed you." He shook his head and sighed heavily. "I didn't know what I did but I planned to spend forever showing you who I could be for you. I want to be perfect for you. Give you everything. I've never once but myself before you and it fucking scares me. You could tell me to kill and I wouldn't even care about the consequences. I'm crazy about you. I have never felt that way or been this way with anyone else."

"Luke,"

"I know, baby. You need space and you want time and I understand. I just need you to know that I'm here too. I need things too. I need you, and when you're ready I hope you want me too." He reached over and I gave him my hand. He held it tightly, our fingers weaved together before he flipped them over and he kissed mine. "I know I haven't been open with you and it may seem like I keep you around for the wrong reasons but I really care about you. I messed up by not showing you that. I used you, or maybe you thought I did or your friends thought I did but I swear, it wasn't that. I love having you around, having dinner together, watching tv, the small things. The house feels empty without you." He hummed sadly.

"Give me a month." I said softly. "Just that and then we can work on this. Me and you, ok? For now, can we just be friends? No dates. No sleepovers. No kissing. Just two friends figuring life out." I licked my lips and he nodded, smiling small.

"I can do that. We can do that." He agreed, taking a sip of his wine. "I need to ask you something though."

"What's up?"

"This goes against everything I've ever said." He frowned and blew out an exasperated breath. "But, I think you should go to the house."

"I know." I didn't hesitate. I knew I needed to see it. I needed to visit the place I grew up. No matter how much a hurt. It was my house. I had to accept it eventually. "I don't want to go alone."

"You've always got me." He smiled, thumbing my chin softly. "I'll do this with you if you do something with me." I nodded, ready to do anything for him. "I want my father to meet you." He cleared his throat. "He's buried a few hours from here. Would you come with me?"

"I will." I whispered. "I'd be honored to meet him."

"He'd really like you. I can hear his voice telling me how you are way too pretty for a Black. He'd always said that about my Mom. He'd tell me how I should marry you quickly so I could get you off the market. He would have also made a few perverted comments about your butt because I mean, he is my father." He chuckled and I grinned. He never talked about his Dad. But, I liked hearing his stories. "He'd make me fight for you."

"You are fighting for me." I told him straight. He was doing more fighting than I was. I was pushing. Already, he's agreed to deal with more than he probably wanted to. "I do want you too." I told him, tilting my head. "I just want to work on myself before I dive head first with you."

"I know, baby." He licked his lips and I smiled at him. I needed him with me on this, but I needed myself more.