Chapter 10

We sat together for the puja which was more or less an obligatory ritual which my Dad made me follow. Dinner was served and we ate together talking, laughing and arguing. By 10:30 we were almost done with all the celebratory activities and Gam retired to bed. Savitri and Geeta cleaned and they too left. As always Josh and I were the only ones left behind.

I sat on the couch ladylike and leaned back.

“This sucks it’s not even 11 and we are done.” Josh said plopping next to me which made me jump a little as well.

“I mean what are these people doing anyway?” He remarked at the deafening sounds of the crackers and laughter.

“Just because we are sad doesn't mean they can't celebrate D’costa,” I said

“Anyway where is your object of affection? Haven't seen for a long time now?” I asked.

He scrunched his face and replied, “Saloni is in Calcutta visiting her parents, her flight was on the same day when our exams ended, she did insist on staying and cancelling her holiday but I told her not to, what help she would be of anyway.” he justified yet again.

“Okay.” I simply stated.

He looked at me weirdly like saying “okay? Really?”

“Fine what do you want me to say?” I asked

“I want you to say that she’s a bad girlfriend that she should have stayed behind with me when she knew I was practically alone, can you say that?” He said sounding annoyed

“What good would that do? But if it makes you feel better fine, she’s a bad girlfriend, Happy!” I said raising my hands in air.

After a few minutes of silence he stood up, “Chalo, let’s go somewhere.”He said.

“Uh, where?” I asked

“Let’s see Ice cream?” He asked

I grinned.

“Are you coming like that?” He asked

“What do you mean like that? People are going to be dressed hip, it’s Diwali,” I said rolling my eyes.

“No, no, I mean your choli it doesn't have a back,” he mumbled.

“Huh? Seriously? It’s backless,” I said.

“Umm yeah, but it’s...it’s cold outside,” he said quickly.

“Let’s go you psycho,” I said strapping my silver heels. That guy is a liar, he din want me to go outside in a backless choli, while his girlfriend roamed around wearing really tiny shorts and skirts, hypocrite, I thought.

We walked to an Ice cream stall nearby while people stared us down. It was indeed cold and I regretted wearing a skimpy choli. I ordered for cookie cream and he got himself some banana almond weird sounding scoop.

We sat outside the parlor and hogged our respective ice creams. It was cold and I was having ice cream, my arms literally had those cold Goosebumps and Josh being the gentleman he is taunted on not wearing a jacket as he had suggested.

Finally after lots of taunt and snarky remarks he lended me his jacket.

“Thank you” I said genuinely. I loved how his jackets made me feel, warm and safe. Now he looked cold, so I suggested we go home but he denied and said,

“Naa lets just sit here for some time, it’s nice.”

“O okay,” I said and scooted to where he was sitting so he wouldn't feel that chilly. Like he understood my gesture, he wrapped his arms around me looked down at me and smiled.