chapter 31

A week passed by in peace, I started working from home which my company accepted graciously. Cheryl came for a week; thank god! I had some company. Jim Cheryl's very charming fiancé had accompanied her and together we had a blast. Josh allowed me to go out for a day and we visited some places in Old Montreal. They were leaving tomorrow and thus, Josh planned a small dinner party and invited their mutual friends.

“So I finally get to meet your friends,” I exclaimed.

“Yeah.” He smiled.

“I'll cook,” I said.

“You don't have to, Kalsi, it’s been only a week since you left hospital remember,” he said.

“I’m fine, Cheryl has been feeding me like a horse,” I said.

“That's great,” he said.

“Plus I’ m meeting them for the first time after our marriage, so let me just cook,” I said.

“Is there a way I’m going to win this argument,” he asked.

“Nope,” I said popping the P.

He just shook his head and said, “don't worry about them, they already like you, it's hard not to.”

“Thank you I’m flattered, now excuse me, I’m going to cook some feast,” I said and made my way to the kitchen.

******

“Ohmygod, this smells amazing!” Cheryl chirped while I was garnishing rasam (tomato curry).

“You think?” I asked.

“Without a doubt, it's like a south Indian feast in here, holy shit!” she said.

I laughed. It wasn't much I made rice, rasam, medu vada, onion uthapam, aviyal (mix vegetable dish) and payasam for dessert.

“It's nothing, I would cook for Dad all the time and he would love it,” I said.

“Aww,” she said and squeezed my shoulder.

“Kalsi, Kalsi,” Josh yelled.

“There you are, Hmmnh...Love the aromas,” he said and sniffed the air like a hungry dog.

“Thanks,” I replied.

“Come on, get dressed they'll be here shortly, and you've been standing for hours,” he said.

“I’m Fine,” I muttered and walked towards our bedroom.

He followed me, “fine, look at your feet,” he pointed.

Okay they were a tad bit swollen.

“This is normal, Josh, happens all the time,” I drawled.

“Get dressed now,” he said.

“Okay Boss,” I replied.

I threw on a loose maxi dress and tossed my hair in a loose side bun.

Door bell rang and I hurried outside.

I was met by a warm Indo Canadian couple who looked very much in love. Josh greeted them with a hug and Cheryl almost jumped on the guy.

“Kalsi Bhabhiji,” Jim teased in his thick accent.

“Come on here,” he said and came to escort me.

I laughed, “Dhanyavad (Thank You),”I said and walked over to the couple.

“Hey Kalsi,” Shraddha greeted and gave me a warm hug.

“Hi,” I said and smiled genuinely.