Chapter 20

‘Oh god, I miss India!’ I rambled for the nth number of time.

“You've been saying that for a year now Kals.” Arya said while still writing notes in her small sloppy handwriting.

“You're such a nerd.” I said throwing a napkin at her.

“Says the girl who almost topped her econometrics class.” she said accusingly.

“That was once, and I did not even score that good.” I said with a scrunched face.

“Ahunh! Okay I am almost done.”

“And, yes I’m done.” she said and dramatically threw her pencil on the table and leaned back on the chair.

“Good, let's go now; I’m sick of sipping coffees while you complete your assignment.” I said.

“Okay come on.” she said pulling me up.

“Atleast finish your coffee.” I said throwing on my coat. 

“What's the use, its cold anyway, like you and the freaking weather.” she said sliding into her coat which was a little too huge for her.

“God why am I so tiny!” she said flapping her coat sleeves.

One year in London and I was homesick. But hey, I wasn't complaining, LSE had been my dream from the time economics was first introduced to me in school. Dad would visit more often than he did in India so that was a plus. 

We walked on the icy wet sidewalk hand in hand like two schoolgirls.

“Hey Kalsi.” Lee greeted on our way to college.

“Hey Lee.” I said.

“The afternoon class is cancelled, Mr. Hale announced.” she informed.

“That's great, thanks man.” I said.

“No problem.” she said and walked away waving.

Arya looked at me with a really annoyed face.

“What?” I asked.

“Did you not see, she completely ignored me, I mean what is her problem?” She said walking faster than her usual self.

“Wait up!” I said jogging behind her. 

“You called her a chinky that is her problem dude, seriously!” I said.

“That was once and she is a chinky, in case you haven't noticed,” she retorted.

“You have no write to call her chinky when you yourself are brown in an all white country,” I explained.

“Seriously, whose side are you on?” She asked.

“Your Ofcourse!!” I said.

“Better, now let’s get going we have an afternoon off and tomorrow's an off as well isn't it?! How cool is that?!” She said enthusiastically.

“Very cool.” I said laughing at my stupid tiny best friend.

“Where's Brandon?” She asked.

“He isn't coming today, he's busy with classes.” I said not too sadly.

“We're on our own then?” She asked.

“Yes,” I said.

“That's great,” she said and her phone started ringing. She frantically started to check all her coat pockets for her phone.

“In the bag, side pocket,” I pointed.

“Oh,” she smiled cheekily and looked at the screen.

“It’s Charlie,” she squealed.

‘Here goes my holiday’ I thought. I gave her thumbs up while she chatted on her phone. Arya really liked Charlie and off lately he too has begun to show some interest, so they are constantly on the phone or going out now and then.

She finished her conversation and sighed.

“We're going out tomorrow, he’s taking me out,” she said fanning herself in an already cold atmosphere.

“That's great,” I said faking enthusiasm.

“You'll be fine right, I would never ditch you if I didn’t like this guy so much,” she said.

“I'll be okay, you have fun,” I assured.

“You're the best” she said hugging me from the side.

******

It's funny how everyday m bloody lazy to even get out of my bed, while today its 9am already and m showered and ready. But stupid, stupid weather ruined it for me once again by raining. Arya left at 10 and I lay in my dorm reading. It was 11 but the weather outside was gloomy and dark. How I missed Mumbai and its heat.

 At 22, I thought my life would be happening, you know fun, parties and all that. But here I was alone in my dorm, with my best friend gone and my sort of boyfriend too busy with his law to call or even hangout with me. 

I have no classes, no work and no paper to submit as far as I remember and yet m sulking, I shook my head, snap out of it Kalsi, come on.

“Yes, I’m going to have some FUNN,” I yelled out to no-one in particular and did a little funny dance with my hair swinging around. 

“I’m going to have a day out, yess,” I said and skidded to pack my day-out bag which was my normal side bag with an extra water bottle. Bag packed, coat on, boots on, beanie on, gloves on and an umbrella hung on my left hand. I moved out with all the enthusiasm I could muster. And TADA! One mail received popped on my phone. I checked it hastily and my heart sank, oh Mr. Hale why? He mailed all of us an assignment to submit tomorrow, perfect. 

An awesome tune played on my phone and I knew it was Arya.

“Yes, I read,” I said.

“Why Kalsi, why?” She cried dramatically.

“Let's not panic, I’m going to start it right away, let’s split it into two and we can copy each other’s work later, what say?”I suggested.

“Oh that sounds great,” she said.

“Okay then, I shall call later,” I said feeling a little low.

“Hold on, are you alright, you sound low,” she said and that is why she's my best friend.

“I planned on going out by myself, you know that gallery I was talking about and now this,” I said in a childish manner.

“Ohoo, go then, this paper would take hardly what an hour? Please go, you need a break,” she said.

“Humnh, you know what you're right, I’m going, bye Ar, say Hi to Charlie,” I chirped in the phone.

“I will, Bye,” she said.

******

I walked on holding tight onto my beanie, it sure was windy today.

“Excuse me,” someone called out and I turned abruptly holding onto my beanie, a click sound followed when I saw someone really tall and scruffy clicking my picture.

“What the hell, why are you clicking my picture?” I yelled at him.

That was my moment and it was ruined when my stupid hat blew away. 

I lowered to pick it up and when I got up, I heard another click, and I was more than pissed at this creep clicking my pictures.

“Haramkhor,” I sweared in Hindi.

At last he lowered his camera and I saw who the creep was, he grinning ear to ear.

“Haramkhor, really Venky?” He asked.

I just stood there bewildered.