Chapter 17

Phase 2)

(Present Day)

The sun shone on his face, his eyes were twinkling just like I remembered. That ridiculously handsome face I had seen in my dreams almost every day for more than a year now stood in front of me. 

“Josh,” I managed to say.

“Hi, Venky,” he grinned.

Oh that impact of his smile. And in that instance my life rewound itself. Was I any different from that vulnerable girl who got up next morning overjoyed from the last night's happening, from thoroughly kissing the boy she had loved for the very first time in her life. He broke my heart; I had confessed my love to him only to wake up with the news of his departure. He had left the next morning while I was still in bed weaving my fantasies. As soon as I got his message on my phone which he had hastily recorded saying he had leave to deal with some very important family crisis, I choked. I ran downstairs in my night clothes without any shoes hoping to have a last glance. I reached just in time to see his car depart. I was panting from the early morning run and my throat was choked, the lump hurt so bad I felt like I was dying. I sat on the ground at once and wept, I wept for the boy who left without saying goodbye.

“Hello venky?” he said snapping his fingers.

“Oh my god, hii Josh,” I said like it was actually pleasant to see him after almost two years without any contact. 

He scooped me in his arms and I tried to act cool, I mean we were friends and I was stupid enough to fall for him. 

“You look different man Venky, I mean different good.” He said smiling all the while.

I smacked his hand; “you look different too, is that possible you could have gone even taller?” I asked.

“Yes, I have and you look shorter.” he teased.

“By the way, like your short hairdo.” he commented.

I grinned, 

“I’m joking you look funny,” he said.

“I forgot, how much I hated you,” I said.

“Umm, can we go somewhere, I’m melting in here.” he said fanning himself with his t-shirt.

And at that exact moment my walkie made a weird noise and I had to answer it.

“I've got work.”I mouthed and started answering my stupid team.

He rolled his eyes and sat down.

I joined him in a few minutes and we sat facing the sea.

Suddenly I realized something, “Oh my god!!” I yelled.

“What?” He asked.

“It was you, you called Lekha and set me up into coming here,” I said accusingly.

He winked and grinned.

“I've got to get back,” I said

“I'll see you at home? You're staying at Gams right?”

“Yes and no problem, I'll wait,” he said.

“You don't have to,” I said.

“I want to,” he said.

“Okay.” I shrugged.

*******

The clock showed 7 when I wrapped up my work. I marched towards my college gate, I stopped to hail a cab completely exhausted by now.

“Kalsii.” I heard someone yell out my name.

I squinted to see who it was.

Shit I had completely forgotten about Josh.

He waved from across the road and came running.

“How could you forget about me venky?” He asked 

“Sorry, in my defense I’m completely exhausted,” I said.

“Yes right, I’m the one who's been waiting for you and you are exhausted,” He said.

“Arghh, let’s not fight,” I said.

“Let's grab something to eat before I faint,” he said dramatically.

“Let’s go,” I said.

******

“Ummm, the food's great,” He said.

“Hummh,” I said with my mouth stuffed with Pav Bhaji, cheese pav bhaji.

“Isn't chowpatty the best?” He said rhetorically.

“Oh by the way, when did you land here?” I asked.

“Today Morning,” he said.

“What?!” I said almost spitting out the mouthful.

“Gross Kalsi.” He said making a disgusted face.

“You came this morning?” I asked again not believing my ears.

“Wouldn't you know if I had come earlier? You live next door idiota,” he said

“Oh right, but then you've been here all day Josh,” I said.

“Yes so?” He said nonchalantly.

“Nothing.” I nodded and we continued stuffing ourselves.