Chapter 34

After a long tiring day, first at work and then at pregnancy yoga classes I joined on Doctor's recommendation for easier natural birth.

I reached home at about 7 in the evening; Josh’s car was in the driveway meaning he was home. I rung the door bell and waited for him to open up. No one answered the door and I hunted for my home keys. I opened up; I could sense something was wrong. I heard a few voices. I walked towards the bedroom, clothes were scattered on the floor. My heart was thumping in my ears. I climbed further up to the bedroom and cracked the door open. My heart sank, I froze for a second. Josh was with Aaliya and they were making out hungrily. Josh looked at me and I panicked.

“Kalsi!”  I heard my name being called out.

But I quickly turned and ran down the stairs. Tears made my vision blurry, Josh called out my name again and I looked at the top of the stairs to see him standing. I looked back and missed the step ahead. From that point everything was painful. Pain is all I could remember.

I fell on my back and a searing pain rose inside of me. I was blinded by the pain and my head hurt. The rest is a blank of nothing but darkness and pain.

******

I woke to extreme brightness and a parched throat. An unknown woman was flashing light in my eyes, I blinked and gained consciousness. Suddenly I realized what happened and my hand quickly reached my tummy, the bump was still there. I exhaled deeply and tears ran down my cheek.

“Your baby is just fine,” the lady said smiling pleasantly.

I tried to crack a smile.

“Water,” I whispered and she rang a bell to call the nurse.

The nurse came in with ice and I tried to sit upright.

“Slowly, you're still healing,” Doctor said and the nurse helped me up.

“You're husband was here all night,” the nurse said.

“Where is he?” I asked.

“He just went home to get your stuff and freshen up,” she informed.

Keegan entered the room and smiled at me a sad smile.

“Hey Kals,” Keegan said and sat next to me.

“I'll send some light food for you;” the nurse said and left us alone.

As soon as she left, I burst out in tears and held on to Keegan.

“I hate him, Keegan, I do,” I said.

“I could have lost jujubee, what kind of a mother am I?” I cried and wept.

“Get me out of here, I want to go home,” I said.

“Kalsi, shhh, this is home,” he said.

“No!” I looked at him, “Noo, I want to go away!!” I yelled.

“Okay, okay, we'll get you out of here,” he said.

“But listen, listen to me,” he said.

I looked at him, “get better first Kals, please for Juju,” he said.

I nodded and wiped my tears.

“Okay,” I said.

“Can I have your phone?” I asked.

He handed me his phone and I dialed a number after months of no contact.

The bell rang and he spoke in his heavy voice, “Hello,” he said.

I cried silently.

“Hello.” he said again.

“Hello, Appa,” I finally said.