Chapter 4 // Tyler

Sitting next to Josh is as uncomfortable as sitting next to my parents.

I realized that when he dropped himself in the sofa, avoiding Jenna's furious look. His expression didn't have a single bit of shame, so I guess he was doing that to piss her off. I don't like this guy so far; first of all he's a crybaby and made my wife angry, and second of all he's in my sofa. This is not even his house, why would he do that?

That familiar anger I felt the first time I saw him rose to my throat again and I had to sit down to avoid punching him in the nose (which doesn't have a white thing anymore, instead a silver loop leaves one of his nostrils like a ring).

And that's when I found out the guy is an awkward mess. He shivered when I got close to him just to take a closer look at the loop in his nose and I felt like he's avoiding me at all cost. I have seen people go all awkward when they're with me, but Josh is the most problematic of them all. Why is he like this?

Then a thought crosses through my head: I remember Zack's words back to the hospital, when he said Josh did something terrible, and I find myself shivering too. What would have him done? I understand if he did something awful, because he looks awful to me.

"Oh, shit." Jenna's sigh brings me back to reality. "Josh, you're not staying in here, for God's sake."

I realize I lost major part of a conversation and I feel the urge to catch up. "What?"

Both Jenna and Josh look at me with the same puzzled expressions.

"Josh wants to stay in our house." She says and her voice is strong. "Of course he can't because he's... an idiot."

"So I'm the idiot now, huh?" Josh spits out. "You guys left me behind. I thought we were a team."

"I'm just following the Joseph's advice. Nothing personal, hun."

"And if they told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?"

"Okay, guys, that's enough." I interrupt, feeling a headache incoming. "Why can't he stay?"

I don't want him to stay but I want them to shut up.

"It's complicated, Ty." Jenna strokes her hair with a gesture that makes Josh groan. "Josh made a terrible mistake-"

"Stop reminding me what I did!" I feel something in his voice - maybe sadness but I'm not sure. "I thought you were by my side, Jenna."

"I'm still by your side." Her face goes all red and I can't tell if she's blushing or about to scream in frustration. "But this about Tyler, and I'm always by his side."

"So if this is about him, why don't you let him decide?" Josh tilts his head towards me. "Go ahead, Tyler. Should I stay for one night or should I go?"

Jeez, this is embarrassing. I don't even know him, and he makes me feel mad and I don't like how everyone accuses him about something I don't know - or remember. I wish Jenna could say something, but she's also staring at me and it's making my head go all dizzy.

Finally, I let out a long sigh. "Sorry Josh, but I don't trust you."

Those seven words were enough to make Josh's face turn as white as the coats the people at the hospital wore all the time. I look at Jenna and she looks sad too and I start doubting if I did something wrong. I don't want to see her cry never again.

I look again at Josh and for the first time I catch him staring right into my eyes. Then he stands up, rubs his arm in shame and nods.

"Of course you don't. Sorry for bothering you two." That's all he says.