Chapter 16 // Tyler

As I sit next to Jenna and Jay in the living room I wonder, not for the first time, what the hell happened between my brother and my friend.

I never got the answers I wanted whatsoever; I never asked anything. I was ashamed to ask anyone for help, plus I believed if I recovered my memory I would be able to remember if they hated each other this much, but I don't remember any of this.

I feel like there's still a huge piece missing. Like there's a blur that I can't clear at all, no matter how many memories I posses now.

But why?

"So you went to Kentucky." Jay says and I snap into reality. "Cool! But what for?"

"Tyler was feeling down." Jenna shrugs, winking at me. "After remembering me and the wedding and everything he was really overwhelmed so I thought it would be a good idea to travel somewhere nearby."

Jay looks skeptical but still nods. "Was Josh part of that trip?"

"There's no use lying now, so yes, he was." Says my wife. Jay eyes me, and I smile at him.

"I can't believe this whole time you knew more details than us." He says after a long pause. "I feel like the worst brother, holy shit."

"Nah, don't." Now it's my time to shrug. "It was a decision I took on my own."

We stay in silence for a little while. I should probably ask what's going on, because Josh and Zack are taking too much time. I'm afraid they're probably fighting or something. 

Oh gee, I don't want to be responsible for anything that happens to any of them.

"What's going on?" I find the courage to spit that out. "Sorry I didn't ask this before, but why is Zack apologizing to Josh?"

Jay shivers, and Jenna just blinks at me.

"We can't answer that because we don't know exactly what happened." Jenna says, biting her lip.

More questions threaten to leave my mouth, but I bite my tongue to stop myself from overwhelming them. I'm starting to feel like a burden again, and I don't know why.

But as I breath in and out I hear footsteps. I stand up and find Josh and Zack pacing towards us, both of their faces completely still. Hopefully, none of them seem hurt.

When Zack reaches me, he places a hand on my shoulder. "So, what flavor do you want your birthday cake?"

I shake my head, remembering that today is my birthday. "I don't know. Surprise me, I guess."

My brother nods and smiles. He turns around to look at Josh, his expression surprisingly bright. "Stay, Josh, please. I will talk to my parents and tell them everything."

Josh nods. He looks paler than usual, and his eyes are so misty that I'm pretty sure he's lost in his own head right now. I exchange a look with Jenna and Jay.

"So?" Jenna looks at Zack now. "Everything fine?"

"I guess." Zack nudges me. "I hope you're ready for the party, bro."

I smile at him, trying to understand what he just said. But out of the corner of my eye I see Josh turn around and disappear behind some wall.

~

Later that night

"Your parents just arrived."

I open my eyes and groan playfully at the sight of Jenna's presence. "Give me just a few minutes to get ready."

"You seem fine to me." Jenna sits on the bed next to me and plays with my hair. "You don't have to wear a suit or anything. This is not exactly a party."