Chapter 9// Josh

The next day I woke up with an unbelievable, clinically insane idea. And of course, before realizing what I was doing, I called Jenna and told her what were my plans for today. 

"WHAT?!" Jenna's voice stabs my eardrum. "Do you even hear yourself, Mr. Dun?"

"No." I said, coming clean to her. 

"You can't just go around the country like a fucking idiot, Josh!" She begins to panic. 

"Technically, that's what Tyler and I have been doing for the past, uh, 18 months, I guess. This is not going to be different."

On the other side of the phone, Jenna sighs, suddenly disappointed. So, this was my plan: after yesterday's realization, I came to the conclusion that there was an actual fan, a girl, who really wanted to see us. I understood this wasn't a peculiar case - fans from all around the world literally kill to see us live (but please, don't do it!) -; however, on this case it was because of us that her father was now dead. She most be really devastated, to a level I can't even imagine.

So I said to myself: "Why don't we go to her house and give her a grieving visit?"

I didn't understand what this idea meant until now, because Jenna is totally disgusted with it.

"Dude," I hear Tyler on the other side on the phone now. "you made Jenna nervous."

"I'M NOT NERVOUS, TY!" Jenna's voice faints. "Give me my phone!"

I hear Tyler giggle, and after a few seconds Jenna is back to the auricular.

"You don't even know where that girl lives."

I smile to myself. "Of course I know! I called the crew this morning. They told me the same story that you told me yesterday. She's in Kentucky. Literally just a few hours from here." (A/N) If I'm wrong and that's not the real length of the trip, I would be glad if you could correct me in the comments since I don't live in America :).

"Still." Jenna pinpointed. "You know Tyler's conditions. You know his family is getting very overprotective. We can't just leave without telling them!"

I don't say anything. I know Jenna can convince them - after all, they love her -, and I know Tyler's not ready for this. But I can't do this without him. I can't do anything without him, I suppose.

"Think about the girl, Jenna." I say softly. "Think about the suffering she must be going through. Isn't twenty one pilots a band that's literary an escape for many fans? Hasn't our music help thousands of people out there?" I steady myself when a knot begins to form inside my throat. "You're lying if you don't admit that the man sitting next to you didn't save your life; because he did save mine. And now it's time for me, for you and for him to have that same impact on others who need it the most."

I bite my lip, surprised by my own words. Sweat begins to pour out of my forehead while I wait for Jenna's response.

Finally, she hesitates. "See you at 11 am. I'm picking you up." I hear a small thump on the auricular. "Tyler, honey, pack up your things. We're going on a road trip." 

~

It was at 10:59 am that I realized that I'm actually looking for redemption on this girl.

What was I thinking? Will this make me feel better? Will this make me forget my sins or something like that?  Will I ask that girl to forgive me for something that is none of her business?

I shake from head to toes while I stand in one of the many sidewalks in Ohio. This is a bad idea. And I'm putting Tyler's life on risk again.

But, on the brighter side, I have to admit that monologue was super cool. And it's 100% true, so I guess there's no going back now.

I spot Jenna's car on the distant and I stand still, grinning confidently. When she comes to a halt, she pulls down the door window, reveling herself and Tyler on the front seats.

"Get in loser," She says. "we're going on an humanitarian trip."

I giggle and jump inside the car. She accelerates and gives me a side smile, her sunglasses hanging on the bridge of her nose.

"So, what did you do to convince the Josephs?" I ask her.

"I told them that Tyler remembers me and our wedding." She says, very pleased with herself. "I asked them permission to take him on a trip to 'refresh his fractured memory', and somehow they said yes." She pauses. "But also, Josh, I'm very impressed with what you said this morning. About how Tyler had saved our lives. That's the most mature thing that has left your mouth in so long."

Tyler chews on something I later identify as a taco from Taco Bell, and glances at me, then at Jenna.

"I saved your lives?" He says between chews. "How?"

"Long story short, my friend." I wink at him. "We're not the only ones, that's all I have to say."

He blushes and continues eating. "Are you talking about the band? I mean, the lyrics are super depressing, but also refreshing in a way. Does that mean anything?"

"Maybe." I remember lyrics like Goner and Truce and I make myself sad for a moment. "Anyway, you know what's really good? If you could give your ol' pal Josh a bite of that taco."

Tyler hands me another taco in a millisecond and I smile. "Take the soft one. I prefer the one that's crunchy."

I enjoy my taco, and the trip, and for a second the world feels better. While Jenna drives and sings along to a song on the radio; while Tyler stares at some vultures that appear on our side of the window as if they were majestic eagles or something; while I make myself comfortable inside the car, things inside my head start to get brighter. I am going to get better. We all will.

I really hope this trip becomes the final piece of this never-ending puzzle.