Chapter 5 // Josh

Do you know that feeling of relief?

That feeling you get when something you thought was a lost cause suddenly gives you hope? Alright, maybe I'm not being clear enough with what I'm feeling right now, but all you need to know is that I feel like a new man.

Yes, the yellow hair is nice and it suits me, but that's not what is making me feel so good. Is it Tyler? No. Trust me, what he said to me last night still hurts.

The answer is my drums.

And gosh, I sure missed those things. 

After Tyler found me in the garage I was determined to try to get closer to him, to let him known that I'm trustworthy, but then he mentioned his memory and I felt the urge to scream. If he remembers the band he will remember our fight, and for a second I hated the fact that memory loss is temporary. On the other hand, if he had a memory of the band that means he won't think I'm crazy for dragging the drums around a neighborhood when everyone is still asleep.  

And on the third hand, this is my only chance to get him back. And I'm not going to waste it. I'm not going to screw up things again.

I stand up and take a deep breath. "Want to see something cool? I promise Jenna won't suspect a thing."

In front of me, Tyler seems to hesitate. I hate the way he's looking at me, as if I was some criminal or something like that. Do I really look like a hobo to him?

Tyler squishes his eyes and sighs. "Alright. Don't take so long."

I nod, mentally clapping to myself. I tell him to help me drag the drums out of the garage and he shushes me. I think he's nervous Jenna will wake up but I know her and I know she won't.

We rearrange the set of drums in the street. I have kept my drumsticks in my pocket all this time, because those are the only things I always carry with me for some reason, so I take them out and sit down on the small seat.

Tyler looks at the drums and then at me and then at the drums again. "What am I supposed to do now?"

"Sit down." I order him, fighting the urge to hug my drums and ignore Tyler's existence for a second.

He sits down on the pavement with an innocent expression and I give him a dorky grin. Then, after giving a final nostalgic look to the instruments in front of me, I play a short but loud and epic drum solo. I move my hands as fast as lighting, hitting on each drum with such strength I feel the beat in my chest. Ah yes, I have been waiting to do this for so long, to have something to unload my feelings on, to know that after all I'm still Josh Dun.

I give a final hit to the drums and stand up ready to throw the drumsticks at my crowd. But when I throw them I realize Tyler doesn't even flinch to catch them, and the things fall to the floor with a loud thump

I pant and look at Tyler, kinda mad kinda proud of myself. I wait for him to smile or clap or do something but all he does is stare at me, awestruck. 

"Uh," He says. "what was that?"

"Did you like it or not?" I say, catching my breath. "I can do it again if you wanna."

Tyler shakes his head. "When did you learn to do that?"

I feel a little embarrassed now. "I don't remember. I have always played in bands."

"That's cool." He says and for a moment I see his lips curl up. "I have no idea what you did but I liked it."

I raise my eyebrow and curse out loud. Of course he doesn't know what I'm doing!