Chapter Six

Nico

It was around 10 when I woke up. Percy woke up around 9 he had said. It was his day off from swim practice.

But as I was getting dressed and what not, I overheard my mother talking with Bianca. Which, it's still weird. For them to be here again. Especially Mom.

"Hey, Mom," Bianca remarked. "What do you think? About like gay people and stuff? Because it's 21st century and all. There's probably a lot more of them now. Openly, at least."

It was silent for a second.

"I mean," Mom started. "They're happy, right? They can adopt the kids who weren't wanted or who couldn't be afforded by their biological parents. So that's always good. I don't have anything against them if that's what you want to know. Do you know how many guys both you and your brother would 'crush' on as kids? Just because he always heard us tell you that one day you'd marry a boy. So he caught onto it. And even after Dad explained it... He could care less. Your brother has been gay since the womb."

Oh wow.

Thanks mom. Both sarcastically and not.

That's probably why, to me, it was never a big deal. It was to tell others. But for me to accept being gay really wasn't hard. It was just whatever to me.

You're a guy. I like you. Sweet.

You're Percy, I have a crush on you. Fuck.

Because you know, he's straight.

I went out a little after that conversation just so I wouldn't walk into something that would turn weird. But Mom and Bianca were in the living room. Mom was reading a book she must've found on the bookshelf, Bianca was drawing something. She's always been fairly artistic. Then again, I am, too. I just never had too much time at camp aside after campfire.

Mom said good morning and so did Bianca and I returned it. And not five minutes later she, my mom, told me that she liked my boyfriend.

"What?" I asked, not thinking she'd confuse Percy as my boyfriend. I'm a cuddler. I will cuddle with anyone that sleeps on the same surface as me. Body warmth. I'm cold a lot. "No, Mom. I don't have a boyfriend."

"Are you sure?" She asked me, sounding like she didn't believe me. "I passed by Percy's and your room. I saw the cuddling. You can't lie to me, Nico."

I'm not, but okay, Mom. I wish we were a thing. In my dreams.

"He's warm," I defended what happened. "I'll do that with anyone that sleeps near me. I'm cold a lot of the time. People are warm. Plus, you won't meet anyone straighter than Percy. I promise."

"You sure about that?" Bianca asked me.

"Yes." I promised her. "I promise, he's straight. What would make you think he isn't?"

She shrugged and slid over Percys phone. Which had text messages open. Grover's.

"It's his fault for leaving it open." Bianca told me as I picked it up and started to read them. This was from last night. I fell asleep before him. This must've been right after I fell asleep.

Percy: I'm a chicken, man. I tried asking about it and he admitted to being gay. But I never said anything about him liking me.
Grover: Oh come on, man. Jason isn't going to die a decent death unless you say something! I don't care how in denial you are. You like him. Is he still there?
Percy: Yeah, he's staying here for a while. Hades did a thing and his mom and Bianca are back! They're all staying here so um... I haven't said anything.
Grover: So? Hades knew Nico was gay wayyyyy before we did. He said Bianca and Nico hit on guys together when they were little and Maria was around. His mom probably knows and doesn't care. She dated a god.
Percy: Still. I don't want to make things weird.
Grover: That'd be really hard to do
Grover: Considering he
Grover: You know
Grover: Has a crush on you
Grover: And would probably admit it if you asked or brought it up
Percy: Still...
Grover: Still what? You have no excuse aside not wanting people to find out you're bi, Percy. And I'm pretty sure most people would care less. Everyone supported Nico, Will, and Leo when they all came out. You're no different.
Percy: You don't know that.
Grover: Yes. I do. Now go talk to him and if you haven't at least tried by the end of the week, I'm sending all of this to Nico. All. Of. It.

Oh.

Shit.

I'm stupid.

That seemed obvious now that I actually was informed that he's bisexual. And that he likes me.

Through text. Between Percy and Grover.

That's um... One way to find out something.

Percy

Nico was being weird again.

He was still being nice and acting like my friend. But it was almost like he was being a little too nice.

But then again, that could be in my head as Grover has been texting me all day to tell Nico I like him. And threatening that if I don't, he'll send Nico all of our texts.

So I didn't know what to do. I haven't worked myself up to telling him yet. I just don't really know how I would tell him. Especially considering he doesn't (as far as I'm aware) know that I'm bi.

"You're acting... Weirdly nice." I pointed out to the son of Hades. "Are you okay?"

"What?" He asked. "Oh, yeah! I'm fine. Why?"

"You're just being really nice."

"Is that a crime?"

"Well I guess not," I responded, knowing it sounded stupid. "But I mean..."

"You're not used to it?" He finished before rolling his eyes. "I can be mean if you want me to be mean, Jackson."

How he said it made it sound... It made it sound dirty.

My face flushed and I actually cringed. It was terrible.

"Don't say it like that." I insisted. "Please."

It took him a minute before he looked at me in disgust. Getting what I heard.

"You're gross." He informed me.