Chapter Twelve

Patrick

I explained everything to Alex. Everything I could manage, at least.

And I felt terrible when I realized it was him. Because he was my best friend. We were each other's only friend. Swim team was cool and all. But after the season was done, you didn't really talk.

He was my only friend. And I liked him more than a friend.

I didn't want to tell him. I didn't want to come out.

So I slit my throat.

It was stupid. But it's what happened. Because I was afraid that he would think I'm weird and that everyone would just hate me and that I'd be their personal punching bag or something. Because if that fear, I killed myself.

Percy had gone to get Susan, Sally and Paul were out for dinner. So it was us two and Nico. And I didn't care that he knew. Everyone else would know anyways.

And when I said all of that about the being terrified of coming out. He just looked at me for a second.

"You sound like Percy." Nico informed me. "He gave me that same reason every time I told him to do something."

"Percy?" Alex questioned, as if Percy wasn't dating Nico. And Percy told me they were sort of kind of dating. They haven't gone on an official date yet. But Alex was asleep in that conversation. So being gay, I didn't feel so weird now. Because Nico's gay. And Percy's bi.

"Well duh." I remarked. "Why act surprised? He's bi."

"Percy Jackson." He seemed to doubt what I was saying as Nico left us to argue about this in our own. "I've never met a straighter kid than Percy."

"He told me that he's bi," I reasoned with my best friend. "And that he's sort of kind of going out with Nico. They just haven't gone on an official date yet.but they're like a thing."

"No they aren't."

"Yes they are."

"Prove it."

"Nico!"

My step brothers almost boyfriend looked back into the room, knowing he was called.

"I was summoned."

"Yeah," I confirmed for him. "Alex doesn't believe me that Percy's bi or that he's going out with you."

"Well..." Nico started and looked at me. "That would be because he didn't want anyone outside of the people that live here knowing. So he probably wouldn't believe you. I didn't believe it when I found out until he got really paranoid about certain things that... He's bi, Alex. He just doesn't want to tell anyone. Don't feel offended. I found out because Bianca's a snitch."

"He would've told you, though." Alex insisted.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Nico responded. "I mean, he was pretty set on nobody knowing."

It wasn't too long before Percy got back with Susan, and she was so tiny. And cute. And I loved her to death instantly.

Percy showed me where all of her stuff was and that run through, and while we weren't in the living room, Alex had lit himself a cigarette, and then two other people showed up. People I didn't know.

I got back before Percy did, being he had to make sure she was asleep, and he sort of ignored these people coming out here. His attention fixed on Alex and his smoking.

He was smoking pot, too. And that's not legal yet. But everyone does it.

"Hey, can I see that?" Percy asked, which surprised me. He didn't seem like a smoker to me. As well as I knew him, right?

"Yeah, sure," Alex told him, much more later back now. Handing the joint to Percy, Percy didn't even act like he cared.

He just threw it in the trash. Which pissed off Alex.

"Hey!" He shouted. "What the hell, man! I did nothing to you!"

"You don't smoke here," Percy didn't care that he was mad. "One, there's a baby in the apartment. Two, it's a dumb thing to do in the first place. Three, it can get you suspended from the team."

"It was expensive pot, dude," Alex just ignored everything that came out of Percy's mouth. Decent reasons were listed, too. "You can't just chuck it like that."

"Well I did," Percy corrected him. "So I can, especially if you're trying to smoke it. There are guests here aside you. Be decent. Please."

Percy turned to the older of the two guys. Him and Percy looked perfectly alike. The only difference would be fashion sense and age.

"What do you want?" Despite telling Alex to act decently, Percy was a bitch to this guy.

"Why aren't you at Camp?" This guy responded. "You know you're supposed to be there."

Percy gave him a look like this guy was stupid. And, if I was right and this was his dad, that wasn't a good idea.

"I'm banned." My step brother reminded him. "Because you banned me. On top of that, I don't want to be there. I don't have to be there."

Nico could care less about this, talking with the younger boy. Our age. Alex and I found this awkward.

It was...

Why do people argue with their parents? I mean, it never ends in their favor anyways.

"They need you there, Percy. Nico, too."

"No, they don't." Percy suddenly took that personally offensive or something. Like it was bad he was needed. I wish I felt needed half the time. "Annabeth and Jason can suck it up and deal with whatever they're going through. They've been there for long enough. I'm done. That was our deal."

"Yes, and things have come up to make me go back on that deal." His dad went on. "Tyson's going, go with him."

"No, I'm not." The guy talking with Nico corrected Percy's dad. "Not if Percy won't go."

"Please, Percy," the older man went on, reaching out a hand. That Percy moved away from. There was something bad between them, that was obvious. But I don't get why Percy felt the need to argue. "They need you."

"If they need me, they can come and drag me there." Percy stood his ground. "But until it's that bad, I'm staying here."

"Why?"

"Because," my step brother snapped at this guy all at once. "Because all that place does is make me feel shittier and shittier about myself. It reminds me of how much you wanted me and Tyson. How much my life sucks."

Percy paused to take a breath, because his dad looked confused.

"You don't get it." Percy told his dad. "Because you were never there, you just don't get it. I'm a senior. I'm going to graduate on time. I'm going to be there for my little sister and for my mom and Paul and Patrick and everyone who cared to stick around and I don't give a shit about what you think of what you say."

"Percy—"

"Get out of my apartment."

In the... In the midst of all this, Alex was lucky and managed to slip out of the apartment to head home.

I live here. I don't have anywhere else to go at the moment

"You don't have to—"

"Must I repeat myself?"

"I—"

"No." Percy cut him off. "Wrap your head around this. I don't give a shit about you. Leave the apartment. Leave me alone."

Getting the idea, the older man left, but Tyson stayed behind.