Chapter Eight: A Gift For the Hero

Zelda flopped down on a couch in the Castle Library. She had just finished all the preparations for the celebration tomorrow night, so she felt pretty proud of herself. Zelda glanced at the large grandfather clock that broke the silence of the silent library with its soft ticking. It was a quarter to 3pm, Zelda sighed. She was relieved that she finished all the work for tomorrow. Soon, all the stress would be over.

The Queen of Hyrule didn't recall falling asleep in the library, but she woke up to Midna poking her in the cheek to wake her up. "Hey, wake up", Midna laughed. "Link wants to talk to you!"

Sure enough, Link was sitting in a chair across from Zelda's couch. Zelda sat up sleepily, "What?" She looked out the window and saw the stars dancing in the sky and the moon high above the mountains.

"You said you needed to give me something for tommorow last night", Link smiled. "I guess we forgot to meet up with all the work today."

Zelda blinked, "Sorry, Link! Just wait here for a second, I need to get it. Midna, do you think you can help me?"

"Of course", Midna replied and started to follow Zelda out of the library. Link started to get up from his chair to follow them, but Zelda turned on her heel, "Stay."

Link laughed, "Okay, if this suprise is so important."

"Thank you", Zelda smiled and walked out of the room with Midna not far behind.

***

After about ten minutes of waiting in the library, Link got up from his seat when Zelda and Midna came into the room carrying a large, blue chest with a red bow on it.

"Do you two need help", Link asked as he watched the two monarchs carry in the chest.

Midna and Zelda dropped the chest onto the floor. Zelda dusted off her skirt, "Nope, we're good. Now get over here and open you present!"

Link smiled wide and walked over to the chest where Zelda and Midna were waiting, "Why did you get me a present? I mean, it's not even my birthday."

Midna awnsered for Zelda, "Because you have a nice girlfriend who gets you stuff."

Zelda smiled, "Basically, I just saw this and I thought about you."

"Thank you", Link replied happily.

"What are you waiting for", Midna asked Link. "Open the chest already!"

Link kneeled down by the chest, took the bow off and laid it on the ground. With little effort, Link cracked open the chest and smiled. "Zelda", Link said in awe as he took out a suit of Magic Armor, "How could I ever thank you?"

Zelda gave Link hug, "You've already done enough to thank me, Link."

"Aw", Midna laughed. "Isn't that adorable?"

"What?" Zelda blushed as she got up and helped Link from his knees to his feet.

Link hugged Zelda and laughed, "Midna means we look cute together. And I have to agree with her, without a doubt."

Zelda laughed, "You are too sweet."

"Thank you", Link smiled.

"You're welcome."

Link looked at the Magic armor he held in his arms, "Are you expecting me to wear this to the party tomorrow?"

Zelda nodded, "Yes. I'll be wearing my royal gown, but it will have  a red color scheme to match the magic armor."

Midna smirked, "Who are you guys going as? The King and Queen of Hyrule?"

Link laughed, "Maybe?"

"Hey, we'll it it a masquerade ball", Midna shrugged.

"Who are you going as", Zelda asked.

"I'll be going as myself since I'm that awesome", Midna giggled. "But I will change my form to look like my cursed form, just for old times sake. I hope your subjects are getting used to me, I don't want to scare them. No matter how fun it is."

Zelda patted Midna on the back. She was going to pat her on the head, but...she was too tall. "Don't worry, Midna", Zelda tried to comfort the Twili. "I've gotten feed back from the Royal Court, my advisers, and even some of my subjects. Most of them say they think it's a brilliant idea to socialize with the Twilight Realm and try to create more of a bond between the light and the dark. As long as we don't try to take over each other's realms we will be fine."

"That makes me feel better", Midna laughed. "This is why I have you guys around, you make me feel better."

Zelda sat down on her couch once again and Link sat across from her. Midna sat on the couch with Zelda.

"Believe it or not", Midna started, "You two were the first true friends I ever had."

"Really?" Link asked. "My first friend was Ilia, since she was the only one my age in the village."

"I became friends with the children of the Castle Staff", Zelda added. "But, I became aquantied with princes and princesses from neighboring countries."

"They weren't snobs, were they", Link inquired.

"Most of them were kind and well behaved, though some were a little snobby", Zelda replied.

"My first friend, believe it or not, was Zant", Midna sighed. "He was gentle back then. After my father passed, he wanted to be in line to take the throne. In Twili culture, the child of the former chief is in line to rule, unless they are challenged. I was really suprised when Zant challenged me. There was no more warmth in his eyes, nor kindness in his heart. He became power hungry."

Midna looked at her feet. "And it was all Ganondorf's doing", She added coldly. "He took the one I cared about and corrupted him."

"You like Zant?!" Link gasped.

"Correction", Midna held up her left hand. "I did like Zant before he betrayed me."

Midna got up from the couch, "It's growing late. Goodnight."