Chapter Nine: Final Preparations

Castle Town was more busy than usually. Of course it was, today was the day that celebrated the end of the Twilight Invasion. The crowded streets were full of dancing, games for children, and street vendors who tried desperatly to get people's attention.

The air was full of excitement, and the sun was shining as bright as midday; even though it was only late morning. Almost everybody in the Kingdom of Hyrule was celebrating, like they had for the last five years on that particular day the Twilight Invasion ended weeks after when Hyrule Castle stood once more (thanks to the Light Spirits).

Nobles flocked to Hyrule Castle to be early to the masquerade ball the Queen of Hyrule was throwing, even though it started at the hour the of twilight. Link would never understand how noble peoples minds worked. Especially now when he was getting ready for the ball.

Shad had come over to help him prepare and give him a few tips for the party. He told Link that it would take time to make him look "presentable" for the celebration. Because of Link's closeness to Zelda, many eyes would fall on him as well. If he wanted to keep up a good reputation, Link needed to look his best.

Link admired himself in the mirror. He was wearing the magic armor Zelda had given him. "I'm not so sure how I feel about this crown on my head", Link complained. "It makes me look...weird."

"Oh, you won't be needing to worry about that," Shad said as he took the hat from Link's head. "It is very impolite to wear a hat inside, especially around royalty."

"Who planted that terrible idea in your head", Link shot back. "Hats are my thing!"

"Not today they aren't", Shad said stubbornly. "We will have to do something about your hair."

"What's wrong with my hair", Link asked.

Shad crossed his arms and studied Link's supposedly "messy" hair. "You're hair looks even more crazy than usual. We'll  have to comb it back."

"Look", Link held up his hands, "I'm not letting you put that slimy stuff in my hair. I think I look great. Now, can you give me back my hat?"

Shad ignored him, "Get me a comb."

"I refuse."

"Do you want to look uncivilized right next to the Queen, the woman who you plan to propose to tonight?"

"I'm not uncivilized. Putting slime in other people's hair is uncivilized!"

"Stop bickering and fetch me a comb!"

"Did you just say fetch?!"

Shad rubbed his temples and sighed, "Alright, you win. We are not combing your hair back."

"I agree with you", Link smiled triumphantly.

Shad laughed, "But I swear, I will tame your hair."

"We both know that's impossible", Link chuckled.

"Try me."
____________________________________________________________________

Shad had eventually "tamed" Link's hair. All he did was put it back into a ponytail, making Link look professional and making Shad feel like a professional. Shad was now wearing nicer clothes fit for a celebration. Beside him was his wife Ashei, who wore a dark blue dress to bring out her black eyes. They had gotten a close friend of theirs to look after their son, Harry, for the night.